LAMBANOG

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Hi gang, just had a bottle of "LAMBANOG" Given to me by a friend, just wondering if anyone has drunk this. Drunk half a bottle and 4 bottles of red horse hik.    

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

Hi gang, just had a bottle of "LAMBANOG" Given to me by a friend, just wondering if anyone has drunk this. Drunk half a bottle and 4 bottles of red horse hik.    

Yikes - hope you feel okay in the morning. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Hi Jimeve,  Back in the day when I was in the Peace Corps we attended a Halloween party at our training sight in Los Banos that was serving lambonog. It was the kind produced locally by the hard drinking rural folk there. I got drunk as a skunk as I've never experienced ever again!  And not in a good way! They have since distilled and bottled lambanog I see for more refined tastes. I'd just say though, to use caution and as they always say here in the ads "Drink Responsibly":smile:

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I've had tuba but not lambanog. Good luck, man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I bought a bottle of lambanog as i like to try different drinks but my wife poured it down the cr and flushed it away ! Muttering something like bloddy stupid man thats poison for you !

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Lambanog, tasted really sweet, still felt drunk when I woke up maybe that was the red horse. Looked on Lazada and only 350 a bottle. 

• Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi Jimeve,  Back in the day when I was in the Peace Corps we attended a Halloween party at our training sight in Los Banos that was serving lambonog. It was the kind produced locally by the hard drinking rural folk there. I got drunk as a skunk as I've never experienced ever again!  And not in a good way! They have since distilled and bottled lambanog I see for more refined tastes. I'd just say though, to use caution and as they always say here in the ads "Drink Responsibly":smile:

Got a really nice taste to it, no need for mixers. Mind you woke up this morning and was still drunk lol.

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi JD,  I think that tuba is much milder than lambanog. (although it tastes awful) Tuba is made from the coconut palm sap, and Lambanog is made from the nipa palm--more like moonshine in it's pure form.:smile: Lambanog goes down real easy, but packs a punch!

I Guess that Lambanog is now distilled and bottled as a more genteel native drink from Luzon.  Recently I read an article that tuba was now being refined and bottled nationally too for  a classier, and more hip consumer.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I've had tuba but not lambanog. Good luck, man!

Hi JD,  I think that tuba is much milder than lambanog. (although it tastes awful) Tuba is made from the coconut palm sap, and Lambanog is made from the nipa palm--more like moonshine in it's pure form. Lambanog goes down real easy, but packs a punch!:smile:

I Guess that Lambanog is now distilled and bottled as a more genteel native drink from Luzon.  Recently I read an article that tuba was now being refined and bottled nationally too for  a classier, and more hip consumer.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi JD,  I think that tuba is much milder than lambanog. (although it tastes awful) Tuba is made from the coconut palm sap, and Lambanog is made from the nipa palm--more like moonshine in it's pure form. Lambanog goes down real easy, but packs a punch!:smile:

Yes it is, Queenie. The Mighty Google says that tuba is in the 4% - 5% range of alcohol content while the distilled lambanog is up around 45%, which is the whiskey, vodka, and other spirits' range.

When we were building our house, a girl who lived nearby and whose mother had a sari-sari used to come by every day with snacks and soda for the crew. We all became friends and one day she brought me a bottle of tuba.

I can't remember if I blogged about it but I did post about on Facebook. I remember describing it as being a weird orange color and smelling a little like urine and my friends saying, "What more can you ask for?" :smile:

It had an odd, sour taste that I didn't find too unpleasant. I didn't drink much of it, though. I remembered my father's tales of the effects of "bathtub gin" during prohibition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1