high blood pressure

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not to sure where to put this and feel free to move it .

I have just been informed that the father in law has high blood pressure and he is on medication for this, at what cost i have no idea and what medication he is on either, it was a message from the sister in law that for Emma to call her dad.

He said it is nothing to worry about and he does not want any financial  help .

Can anyone shed any idea what he may be proscribed and at what cost too, that is if you know of anyone who maybe has high blood pressure.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

I have just been informed that the father in law has high blood pressure and he is on medication for this, at what cost i have no idea and what medication he is on either, it was a message from the sister in law that for Emma to call her dad.

Can anyone shed any idea what he may be proscribed and at what cost too, that is if you know of anyone who maybe has high blood pressure.

There are programs to receive the meds for "free". Has he visited the Barangay Health Center, City Health Office. My wife's mother gets free Insulin (very expensive).

The wife has a friend who is a barangay health worker and she tells us stories how some who come  in for their free check up boast how their daughters foreigner husband sends them money for medicine and don't know they get it for free.  

https://www.untvweb.com/news/free-medicine-for-hypertensive-and-diabetic-patients/

https://healthrns.com/free-medicines-hypertensive-diabetic-filipinos/

http://www.manilatimes.net/manila-senior-citizens-get-free-maintenance-meds/311501/

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

There are quite a few different medications that can be prescribed to treat high blood pressure.  Here is a link published by the Philippine department of Health on drug prices and also a link to Generic Pharmacy.  Keep in mind that Philippine seniors (60+) also receive a 20% discount on medications with a doctor's prescription.

https://dpw.doh.gov.ph/home.html

https://tgp.com.ph/products/

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

He may be on something like losarten and they cost between 4-6 peso each.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Can anyone shed any idea what he may be proscribed and at what cost too, that is if you know of anyone who maybe has high blood pressure

As Kev says

31 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

He may be on something like losarten and they cost between 4-6 peso each.

Now here is an anecdote another member told me (who likes to read the forum but doesn't post).  He said his gf''s mother was prescribed Losartan and decided that if 100 mg is good then 200 mg is better so took a double dose.  Ended up in a hospital with critically low blood pressure.

Point is the people who grew up without any medical education from either parents or school have no concept of the proper way to use medicines.  Antibiotics are the worst for being underused (as in most only take them until they feel better without taking the entire prescribed amount).  Expensive medicines also get underused, thinking to take half a pill instead of what was prescribed in order to save money.  But items like Losartan are so cheap that it is easy for people to accidentally or purposefully double up and get complications.

So be careful when "helping" with medications as it will surely be the foreigner's fault when something goes wrong.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your help in this matter, As long as her is ok and taking what ever he needs then Emma and i shall be happy.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, stevewool said:

Thank you for your help in this matter, As long as her is ok and taking what ever he needs then Emma and i shall be happy.

Tell him to go to a doctor the treatment and meds may be free.We had a clinic in Dalaguete where residents could go for free and a lot of the meds were free.Maybe a change in diet would help.