What's it Like in Your Neck of the Woods?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

My wife and I live is a small gated compound (five house) a short 15 minute walk from the center of Moalboal.  Our place is quiet by Philippine standards because it sits off the beaten path and we have direct access to the sea via our backyard gate.  I do some wood working , taking care of the yard, and I have a passion for reading (Kindle Unlimited).   We partner with several local churches to work with young people, mostly middle school and highschool, but even some as young as preschool.  Yesterday we spent the morning with youth from a local school speaking about the value of recycling, composting, and planting trees.  Following the classroom time the students walked the school grounds collecting litter and recyclables, dug compost pits, and planted shrubs.  It made for a very enjoyable morning. 

You can find out more about our ministry work here by checking out our web site.  I am not sure if it is okay to post the URL, but you can find us by using Google and search terms "Philippines Blessings of Hope Reach Teach Feed".

image.pngimage.png

Wow Mike--you folks have an interesting and what seems like a rewarding program going on in your area. May I ask are you and your wife missionaries or do you just work through certain church groups?  Religious based or not, particular school and church related programs in general could be rewarding and helpful for folks I'd think.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Hey Queenie, this is a great idea for I'm all ears. 

Recently retired in 2018, I'm searching for a location in the Philippines I can eventually call my home.  I am taking my time, giving myself a month each city - so far, I've experienced life in Bonifacio Global City, Dumaguete, Tagbilaran, Angeles City and Subic.  Next month it will be Davao.  

It's really interesting to hear another members take on the area's I have already visited - for example, just living 20 minutes outside of the main city can make a big difference.  

• Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bows00 said:

It's really interesting to hear another members take on the area's I have already visited

Makes me wonder why you did not come to the Dumaguete get together when you were here.  You would hear lots of other members.

• Love it 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

Easier to show ya than snow ya...

yep, such a horrible life having to live here on the little 8 hector private island of Tanghanonan, which is situated on the outer edge of a deep-water mangrove facing the Philippine Sea inlet which feeds into the Surigao Straights, located in the sleepy little fishing township of Day-asan, Surigao City, Mindanao.

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Like 1
  • Love it 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I like where I live which is the IT park Cebu. Plenty of places to eat, drink and relax. I can look out the window of my condo at the park across the road or watch the new Ayala rising which I cant wait to open. Will be so convenient when it does as just like 150 meters away. I can go to my favorite watering hole late at night and sit in the garden area with a nice cool breeze blowing. Often meet other foreigners to hear their story. Some are nice, others not so much. I can stroll around the Sugbo Mercado market some nights and wonder about all the raw meat without ice or anything which if not sold that night I guess is put back out the next.

The only thing I wish I had was a balcony but life is good here.

Such a vibrant place here with so many call center eye candy roaming around but I dont look. :shades:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

We live in Sta Rosa, Laguna in a midddle class gated subdivision.  Although it is older and all the lots have been long sold, it is only about half developed with homes.  I like the fact we have one empty lot on one side and nine on the other and empty lots behind.  We have all the convenances of city living with the feel of the province.  Good hospitals and schools were our big draw.  Our daughter attends DLSU in the seventh grade.  Just minutes from the SLEX and we can travel North and be at NAIA airport in 35 minutes with light traffic.  10 minutes from our house are many American restaurants.  Typical day is up at 5:30 am, getting our daughter ready for school and driving 30 minutes to drop her off.  Next is a 30 minute walk around the local lake at the park followed by breakfast for my wife and I and sometimes friends join us.  Next a stop at the local wet market and then home to work on one of the many projects. If no errands then after lunch we may go shopping for sometimes searching for this or that for the projects.  Pick up our daughter and home for dinner and get rested to do it all over the next day. :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1