The Barangay Captain

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

My wife and I moved here in 2011 , we visited 3 times since 2002 before retiring here and we sent money to improve the family home, on retiring we built our now 2 level home , and the wife and her mother were told some of the neighbours were jealous ! Then when we replaced the front gates with new folding ones and purchased a used Nissan Urvan , some said we were showing off ! So you can imagine what they said when we purchased a brand new car ! Even though most of our neighbours are Cousins, and Aunties etc. It wasent long before we had the long line of those asking for money ! But my wife always said no! However we do tend to become sponsers for weddings last year there were 3 ! Luckily for me my wife used to work for the Government So she knew all about the rules regarding Expats etc. And one of the Brothers was in the Police. But i have kept a low profile and if i need to go for a hair cut etc the wife or the brother comes with me. And we always go shopping together Most of the local tricycle drivers know me and know where we live as us expats do tend to stick out a bit. Anyway regarding the Barangay Kapitan, he is the son of our neighbour ! Who are second cousins hes not a bad guy he is well liked and does do a lot for the Barangay.  Regarding Facebook i rarely use it these days although i mainly use it for chatting with my son and daughter in the UK ! No disrespect meant to anyone here but i also tend not to get to know other expats after meeting a guy from the UK who has a wife locally but lives in the UK and visits 3 to 4 months a year i was curious how he could afford to do it and he got a bit upset ! So lesson learnt

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It made me realise that although a lot of people smile at you and say hello underneath there may be slightly different thoughts. 

I agree with this as most of the dealings I have had here have taught me that as soon as your usefulness runs out so do the smiles.Not all people here are like it but you soon learn who are fake friends and who would be fair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

To add further the Brother is a tricycle driver and by using him basically every time we go anywhere its our way of helping him as we pay him between 150 - 300 pesos a trip 150 to anywhere local and up to 300 for a car trip to Nuvali S&R and the Japan surplus stores near there and we feed him also.

Im not worried about going out alone i often go for a walk exploring the local area

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Jack good this thread was started.  I have noticed over the years the THEM AN US  mentality is becoming stronger as is resentment.

A foreigner  here does not even have to offend a local, if particular foreigner is unliked by said local it's enough to charge you. I should know as I have lived it.

Of concern to many should be, awareness, a GF whom one has caused loss of face to or perhaps a brother what ever, if any local fees insulted we can be at risk. 

Safe is....live under the radar....

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• 4 weeks later...
sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have heard mentioned a few times that foreigners should register with the Barangay captain. So today off we go to the hall.I go in to see the captain and she says "what is your problem" I replied"I don`t have a problem but as foreigners we have to register with you" She was unaware of this law but took my name anyway and asked if she could do anything for me,I told her no thank you.She seems like a nice lady. They even scanned my ACR card and gave me a photocopy.I am of the thinking that even if we don`t have to a short trip to see the captain can only go in our favour.

My wife also asked about registering to vote and was told come back next year.

• Like 1

palu
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have heard mentioned a few times that foreigners should register with the Barangay captain. So today off we go to the hall.I go in to see the captain and she says "what is your problem" I replied"I don`t have a problem but as foreigners we have to register with you" She was unaware of this law but took my name anyway and asked if she could do anything for me,I told her no thank you.She seems like a nice lady. They even scanned my ACR card and gave me a photocopy.I am of the thinking that even if we don`t have to a short trip to see the captain can only go in our favour.

My wife also asked about registering to vote and was told come back next year.

I have never heard that foreigners need to register with the barangay captain. Where did this come from? Is it new?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, palu said:

I have never heard that foreigners need to register with the barangay captain. Where did this come from? Is it new?

It has been posted on here but I cannot remember where @Jack Peterson@Dave Hounddriver might remember.