Delta Airlines

Rooster
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, marine6357 said:

Will be making my first visit to the Philippines in September and hoping someone might be able to tell me if they have ever flown Delta from the US. Just looking to see what their experiences might have been. Price is decent at less than $900 usd round trip. From Buffalo, NY to Manila. Thanks for the help in advance.

$900 is a good price for Buffalo, Manila Buffalo.

Try Manila, Buffalo, Manila for the same dates and see the price difference. Amazing    

marine6357
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

$900 is a good price for Buffalo, Manila Buffalo.

Try Manila, Buffalo, Manila for the same dates and see the price difference. Amazing    

Wow just did that it is almost half the price. That is just insane. Need to figure out a less expensive one way ticket to there then and use that as my return ticket then.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marine6357 said:

Wow just did that it is almost half the price. That is just insane. Need to figure out a less expensive one way ticket to there then and use that as my return ticket then.

It is insane.Many don't realize that.

They think they can come here, live on less than 1k$ a month, do annual flights back east but don't know R/T  flights "originating" from  the PI cost twice as much as the same flight originating from the east coast. 

I recently paid almost $2k for a Delta Manila, East Coast, Manila flight. Years ago it was like $750.

Agree with the other comments about "OLD" Delta's Flight Attendants. I also felt like I was on a Senior Citizen field trip with elderly flight attendants as the guides.

Edited by Rooster

marine6357
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Rooster said:

It is insane.Many don't realize that.

They think they can come here, live on less than 1k$ a month, do annual flights back east but don't know R/T  flights "originating" from  the PI cost twice as much as the same flight originating from the east coast. 

I recently paid almost $2k for a Delta Manila, East Coast, Manila flight. Years ago it was like $750.

Not what I just found the trip the price of Manila Buffalo Manila was almost half as much as the opposite way.

image.png

• Love it 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for all the input. I guess my next question is what can expect I will need in terms of layovers somewhere in Asia? which ones are easy to get from one gate to another for connections? what amount of time will I need to make those connections? I know I am asking a lot but want to make sure I don't miss any connecting flight. Not too worried about here in US because usually have enough time to clear customs and make my connecting plus should be enough choices if I need to rebook. thanks again.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

Thanks everyone for all the input. I guess my next question is what can expect I will need in terms of layovers somewhere in Asia? which ones are easy to get from one gate to another for connections? what amount of time will I need to make those connections? I know I am asking a lot but want to make sure I don't miss any connecting flight. Not too worried about here in US because usually have enough time to clear customs and make my connecting plus should be enough choices if I need to rebook. thanks again.

Avoid connecting in mainland China.  They make you get your bags and re-check in.  There are some threads on that.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Agreed on avoiding China.  No less than two hours between connections as a rule for me.  Sometimes longer layovers can help relax a little.  Remember also if you book with one agent all the way through they will define the layover times.  If something happens and you miss your connection due to a late arrival or security checks, it should not be a problem and the airline will assist you rebooking a connecting flight usually without fee.  If booking each leg of your trip yourself with different airlines and you miss a connecting flight, well expect to pay for re-booking.  Good luck.  Enjoy and have fun.:tiphat:

• Thanks 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Thanks that is what I thought that I would try to go thru either Japan or Korea if possible. Also I am probably going to go thru one of the travel sites online. Hope that helps with any problems.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

I thought that I would try to go thru either Japan or Korea if possible.

I have changed planes in Korea.  Korean Airlines have some decent specials.  It is a "minimum comfort" airline in economy class but take a valium and sleep through the trip :cheersty:

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, marine6357 said:

Thanks that is what I thought that I would try to go thru either Japan or Korea if possible. Also I am probably going to go thru one of the travel sites online. Hope that helps with any problems.

Via Hong Kong isn’t bad either. Although it’s a very large airport, it’s easy to navigate and there’s plenty of shopping, restaurants and other amenities for travelers to keep you occupied in case of an extended layover. 

Keep in mind that you’ll have to pass thru immigration (they call them “transfer stations”), but it’s usually a breeze to get thru them; no forms needed if you’re only connecting to another flight. Same with Japan as well. Not sure about Korea as it’s been a while since I’ve been thru there. 

On the US side I try to avoid LAX and JFK - especially on the return leg. Usually I fly out of Tampa and connect via Chicago or Dallas (Dallas is my preferred port of entry when returning), then either via Narita or Hong Kong. Those routes seem to work best for me.

To save a bit of time on your return you can download an app called “Mobile Pass”. It’s a mobile passport app and works at most of the major airports in the USA. Saves you from having to fill out the customs form and thers’s usually an express line for mobile pass users at both immigration and customs. Once submitted you’ll get a QR code sent back to your phone. Simply scan and go. 

Note: Mobile Pass is not the same as Global Entry (which you have to pay for and get interviewed prior to departing). Global Entry provides an even faster way to get thru USA security checks, immigration and customs as you also get TSA Pre-Check with it. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1