BI to deport British

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

BI to deport British involved in swindling, money laundering

June 06, 2018

A 24-year-old British national who was reportedly involved in large-scale internet fraud and money laundering activities in the United Kingdom was caught hiding in the Philippines for nearly three years.

Calvin Jason Ainsworth was arrested by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) Fugitive Search Unit (FSU) in his residence at Josefa Country Homes in Banawa, Cebu City, the bureau disclosed on Wednesday.

In a text message, BI spokeswoman Dana Mengote said FSU agents raided Ainsworth’s residence on Saturday, June 2. The fugitive’s brother, Jared William, who came to the Philippines with him, remains at large.

British.jpg

This news is a couple of months old already but I could not remember seeing it on the forum.  If there is already a thread then let me know and I'll merge or delete this one.  (Old memory)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I met that guy in TGIF Ayala last time I was there. Seemed a nice enough guy but only met him the once. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I like the topic title. Thought we were going to lose all our British members :tongue: 

• Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I like the topic title. Thought we were going to lose all our British members :tongue: 

Alphabetically it would be Aussies first.

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

My member is American, I'm not worried.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dave, I remember reading about Calvin here awhile ago. A quick search didn’t show anything. :89:

Being a badly behaved ex colonist I don’t have a dog in the mass deportations fight but would miss our Brit members when it pushes through. :Happy:

Edited by Old55

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

What they were sentenced for

From your link, it sounds like he came to the right country.  I recognize this kind of activity from some Filipinos here and the authorities just have a chuckle about it.

“The fraudsters used various means via text or email of persuading people to part with money. Rather than meeting the victims face to face they got them to pay directly into their bank account.

“Their tactics included posing as a deaf woman who was raising money for their dog which was dying of stomach cancer. The offenders had no intention of supplying the goods which they advertised and didn’t even possess.

But it is very wrong.  Much more wrong than providing plastic straws at a restaurant and people in California can get jailed for that .   So the seriousness of the crime differs from location to location, which has my mind wandering to whether a person who gave away a plastic straw in California might get deported from the Philippines at some future time.