Living in the provinces, Do we really Know what this means?

TequilaSunset
Posted
Posted

Great stories in here, thanks to all... keep them coming!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well,  In the Philippines, there is really no safety net to speak of compared to Western countries.  If one becomes sick or destitute, handicapped etc. there isn't a lot your family and neighbors can do for you be it a problem with a child or an older person.

What got me thinking about the challenges of poverty, and how a government or non profit or local philanthropist in the province especially reach particular groups. Back in the day, when I was a US Peace Corps volunteer my program here dealt with Health and Nutrition. I would go around for the most part with the local midwife, and we conducted many weekly barangay mother's classes that educated folks about what the best food choices were,  how to grow simple nutritious vegetables, preparing and cooking local fruits and vegetables in a cost effective way. This also quite often included a small feeding for babies and mothers of a communally cooked bulgur wheat  cereal (donated) We also conducted "Operation Timbang" where mothers would bring in babies for weighing monthly to observe about weight gains and show encouragement. There was also periodic vaccinations that the rural health unit performed. It seemed that mothers' were truly concerned about their babies' best interests and doing what they could to help. It also seems now, that rural areas don't have less access to education and services than a more urban poor person might have. Women here are having babies at a much younger rate than before, which can put a strain on all the generations in families too.

Lately the new tax program, TRAIN,( Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion) has put a strain on the ability for many provincial folk  (everyone actually)to cover basic needs also. Let's not make this a political topic of discussion, but just an observation of current situations. We aren't in a position to judge one way or the other.

I read this article this past week in Cebu Sunstar about the challenges of conducting a 90 day feeding program for young children in a provincial town  An interesting read, as it brings up the many challenges and mindsets rural folk might have about how they live. Some issues I found frustrating, and others I could see where folks might be coming from in their choices. Yes, Filipino people are happy, social, patient and resilient folk overall, which helps them to live in not often ideal situations. This article was near to my heart--you might find it interesting too.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1755079/Cebu/Feature/Pantawid-families-in-the-glare-of-feeding-program

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1755080/Cebu/Feature/Special-Report-Investing-in-2-kitchens-a-win-for-5000-children-(Second-of-three-parts)

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Some of us have thought about the absence of good emergency medical care and decided that a shorter life in a more provincial area is preferable to a longer life in a crowded city.  I am not saying my choice is the right choice or even a good choice, but it feels like the right one for me.

Mike--with your experience in your town, that could pertain to expats but also local folk who might go first to a "quack doctor for medical care, or led to a health problem or nutrition issue go due to lack of funds..

Currently the average life expectancy for a male here in the Philippines is 73.52. 

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Currently the average life expectancy for a male here in the Philippines is 73.52. 

Considering all things, that is not bad compared to a few years ago so I tend to think things are on the up in  Healthe care here :smile:

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Considering all things, that is not bad compared to a few years ago so I tend to think things are on the up in  Healthe care here :smile:

Yes it has gone up-- I agree jack, but has the means to access health care money- wise kept up with costs for many folks?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

local folk who might go first to a "quack doctor for medical care, or led to a health problem or nutrition issue go due to lack of funds

I disagree if you suggest what I put in bold print.

When my first gf's sister was having problems during a pregnancy I came very close to demanding that she go to town and see a gynecologist and I would pay for it all.  (I say close to demanding because I was as firm as I could possibly be without going up the mountain and physically putting her in my truck and taking her to the gynecologist that my gf was using, a VERY good doc).

Bottom line is the sister refused help and went to the local quack doctor, paid the quick herself, and the problem went away.  It is NOT due to lack of funds that they go to the quacks, (at least not in all circumstances).  It is because they trust the quacks more than a medical doctor.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I disagree if you suggest what I put in bold print.

When my first gf's sister was having problems during a pregnancy I came very close to demanding that she go to town and see a gynecologist and I would pay for it all.  (I say close to demanding because I was as firm as I could possibly be without going up the mountain and physically putting her in my truck and taking her to the gynecologist that my gf was using, a VERY good doc).

Bottom line is the sister refused help and went to the local quack doctor, paid the quick herself, and the problem went away.  It is NOT due to lack of funds that they go to the quacks, (at least not in all circumstances).  It is because they trust the quacks more than a medical doctor.

You might be referring to a hilot or herbalist that can be very helpful oftentimes to many folk. Their skills in massage and herbal medicine have helped a lot. I'm referring to a "quack doctor" who goes on the premise that evil that a sick person is affected by the Cebuano word "barang" or the presence of evil spirits.

Not sure which type of person you're referring to Dave, but glad she got help.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2018 at 12:17 PM, softail said:

If I may I will share a little experience that my family and I had when i was a young lad.

Wow!  Double wow!!  What an experience!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2