Cebu Pacific vs. Cathay Dragon

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I need to choose between Cebu Pacific and Cathay Dragon, Clark to Hong Kong.

If all things like cost, baggage, etc., were equal, who would you choose based on service and reliability?

I think I know the likely answer, but I have never flown on Cathay Dragon (formerly DragonAir?) so I thought I would ask.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Can you buy this on that Cathay flight? 

stuffed-toy.png

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

In order... Safety, schedule reliability, service, cost?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Can you buy this on that Cathay flight? 

stuffed-toy.png

No, this!

dog.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Old55 said:

In order... Safety, schedule reliability, service, cost?

I think with CP the main concern is schedule reliability.  Not sure of their safety record.

Here is the deal.  We have been going back and forth between the two based on schedules.  I thought CP was quite a bit cheaper, but that disappeared when I realized how many addons I needed.  It will cost me p5100 to buy three 20 kg checked bags for us, and I knew that.  What I didn't know is that they charge to choose a seat, and that is 2250.  Cathay Dragon includes seat choice and 30 kg baggage for each passenger in their price.  150 kg total in our case.  We don't really need that much but it is included.  Bottom line is that CP ends up being p1000 more than Cathay Dragon.

I am also buying travel insurance but that was a similar cost at both airlines and at some third parties I checked.

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

If all things like cost, baggage, etc., were equal, who would you choose based on service and reliability?

I think I know the likely answer, but I have never flown on Cathay Dragon (formerly DragonAir?) so I thought I would ask.

I would choose Cathay Dragon - more resources available in case something happens and more likely to get better as well as faster results, answers and, if needed, a refund........also, if I’m not mistaken, HK is their home terminal. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I cannot speak to Cathay Dragon but I have flown that route on Cathay Pacific (Cathay Dragon is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hong Kong's flag carrier, Cathay Pacific,) and on Cebu Pacific so I will compare those 2.

On a simple trip from Philippines to Hong Kong and back I would choose either of these two depending on price.  If I was connecting to or from other countries I would avoid Cebu Pacific.

If I had no luggage I would choose whichever flight was cheaper or at a more convenient time but if I had luggage I would avoid Cebu Pacific as they can gouge deep in cost of luggage.

For me, I would want to try Cathay Dragon if all else was equal.  This is simply because their parent company is well established and reliable so I would hope for the same in their subsidiary.  Even though I know that is not always the case.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

For me, I would want to try Cathay Dragon if all else was equal.

That is part of the reason I will probably choose them.

Seatmaestro has a lot of comments saying the seats are small, but I can probably live with it for 2 hours and I doubt that Cebu Pacific is any better.

• Like 2

Gas
Posted
Posted

I have flown with both airlines to Hong Kong in the last year and its always a toss up, as they are both low cost airlines. Both planes have small seats that are not very comfortable, however you will hardly notice because of the relatively short traveling time.

Like Dave said i would base my decision on price.

Have you checked the Philippine Airlines site? Every so often they will have cheaper flights than Cebu and Dragon.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gas said:

Have you checked the Philippine Airlines site? Every so often they will have cheaper flights than Cebu and Dragon.

We want to fly from Clark.  So far, the only International flight PAL has from Clark is Seoul.