Paint (Interior and Exterior) Recommendations

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello!

I've made the decision to walk away from my current home and move into my wife's family home.  This decision is because of several factors.

  1.  My financial situation has changed.  I'm only receiving 60% of the retirement benefits I was promised and not worth the attorney fee's to fight a losing battle.  I'm now receiving $2,350/mo instead of $4,000/mo.
  2. Current house is less than 3 years old and already has many problems.  Such as leaking roof, tiles falling off walls, severe cracking in concrete structure, electrical problems (outlets/switches no longer working) even the wood on the doors (interior included) already stressed from  weathering.  In other words, it's a money pit.  My wife tells me many other homeowners in our sub-division are also having same problems or worse.  Builder isn't doing anything to resolve these issues.  In addition no work has been done on the "clubhouse with pool" since I moved in.  Yet the builder just opened a new resort near Pantabagan Lake.  I joked with my wife, that's where the money for maintaining our sub-division and amenities went.
  3. We are just going to let the bank repossess the property, still have balance of 4M PHP on 15 year loan.  My wife has already seen a couple of other foreigners homes with eviction notices posted by bank.  They bailed out a year ago.

We are about to start the finishing work on the first stage of renovating my wife's family home (tatay's).  We expanded one of the bedrooms into a master bedroom.  Complete with a walk in storage closet and "western" bathroom with flushable toilet, shower with water heater and stand alone sink.  The other part was adding an interior wall to separate the living room (sala) from kitchen (kusina).  Before it was just one open space with a standing cabinet in between.  This was also necessary as I'll be installing a split aircon unit in the living room.  We also added plywood (sub-standard 7mm) for the ceiling (to lower costs) to the master bedroom, living room and kitchen areas.

What paint brands do you recommend for:

  1. Interior plywood ceiling
  2. Interior walls (smoothed cement finish)
  3. Exterior walls (smoothed cement finish).  Also what weather coating to protect it.

Our next project will be to renovate the kitchen.  It's currently plywood on 2x4 stands and a standalone 2 burner propane stove.  We're going to put in cabinets/drawers, solid surface countertop with inset double sink and 4 burner stover with exhaust hood.  But I'll ask for advice on that later. :)

Thanks!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
Posted
7 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

Builder isn't doing anything to resolve these issues.  In addition no work has been done on the "clubhouse with pool" since I moved in. 

I hear that.  Similar situation in my subdivision (and many others) but the cost of the houses is much lower so worth that problems.  Still, I understand why you would walk away and let the bank take it.  Why throw good money after bad if you still have to make payments?

It's good for your wife too.  Currently, if anything happens to you or your relationship, she ends up with a problem house that still has to be paid for.  Doing it your new way, she gets a renovated house with no payments.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
2 hours ago, ITGeek said:

What paint brands do you recommend for:

  1. Interior plywood ceiling
  2. Interior walls (smoothed cement finish)
  3. Exterior walls (smoothed cement finish).  Also what weather coating to protect it.

Has the interior/exterior concrete walls been treated with concrete neutralizer? Waited 24 hours then washed & sanded?

Afterwards have the interior/exterior concrete walls been treated with Bronco concrete sealer?

Finally, has the exterior concrete walls been treated with Plexibond?

Otherwise, even the best quality paint will eventually peel, crack.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Hi, I'm a retired house painter. The paint here is not good at best.

1. use a wood primer, then I would use Boysen flat latex paint.

2. Use a cement sealer, then Boysen whatever your desired finish coat falt semi-flat or gloss

3Again use a cement sealer, then an exterior paint, Boysen. My next choice would be Davis paints.

Excellent advice, concise and to the point.

I don’t know if it’s available in the Philippines, but in the USA I’ve always used primers and sealers made by “Kilz” on everything from wood (raw wood, plywood and old wood paneling) to masonry; it’s especially great on walls that are already painted and have water stains. Even in the USA it’s not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.kilz.com/primer#/seal-surfaces

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

Hi, I'm a retired house painter. The paint here is not good at best.

1. use a wood primer, then I would use Boysen flat latex paint.

2. Use a cement sealer, then Boysen whatever your desired finish coat falt semi-flat or gloss

3Again use a cement sealer, then an exterior paint, Boysen. My next choice would be Davis paints.

Thanks for your help!  The other week, I was at Citi Hardware with my wife looking at tiles.  While there, I walked through the paint section and noticed the brands you mentioned.  I do know that UV light and moisture are the biggest enemies (wood especially), something the Philippines has an abundance.  I know it's much easier to do the interior painting before putting in flooring (tiling) and fixtures.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ITGeek said:

Thanks for your help!  The other week, I was at Citi Hardware with my wife looking at tiles.  While there, I walked through the paint section and noticed the brands you mentioned.  I do know that UV light and moisture are the biggest enemies (wood especially), something the Philippines has an abundance.  I know it's much easier to do the interior painting before putting in flooring (tiling) and fixtures.
 

That's another problem with wood "Termites" make sure wood has a coat of anti-termite protection.  (Solignum) Clear. 

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
On 7/30/2018 at 7:06 PM, jimeve said:

Hi, I'm a retired house painter. The paint here is not good at best.

1. use a wood primer, then I would use Boysen flat latex paint.

2. Use a cement sealer, then Boysen whatever your desired finish coat falt semi-flat or gloss

3Again use a cement sealer, then an exterior paint, Boysen. My next choice would be Davis paints.

I agree with Jimeve, we used Boysen brand  paint(semi gloss) on all our our walls and ceilings after first using Boysen Acrytex primer/sealer We have never had any issues on our mostly all white interior house after 4+ years. The exterior was also painted with Boysen after a  cement sealer, and so far everything looks good. We had a very reputable house painter and crew,  so that can make a difference too. Also, areas of the Philippines with heavier rain and moisture might have some extra issues that drier places won't.

Sounds like a good plan ITGeek. Best wishes for your move and new plans.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 8/1/2018 at 7:44 PM, Queenie O. said:

I agree with Jimeve, we used Boysen brand  paint(semi gloss) on all our our walls and ceilings after first using Boysen Acrytex primer/sealer We have never had any issues on our mostly all white interior house after 4+ years. The exterior was also painted with Boysen after a  cement sealer, and so far everything looks good. We had a very reputable house painter and crew,  so that can make a difference too. Also, areas of the Philippines with heavier rain and moisture might have some extra issues that drier places won't.

Sounds like a good plan ITGeek. Best wishes for your move and new plans.

We bought the oil based wood primer for the ceiling with latex white semi gloss finish (4L each).  For the interior walls, we got the cement sealant with base white (only one they had) and water based latex offset beige semi gloss custom color (4L each) so it will match color on tile floors.  Now the hard part is painting the ceiling.  I got the extension pole for roller.  Always best to paint first before laying tile so any drips can be easier to clean on concrete flooring instead of tile. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
3 hours ago, ITGeek said:

We bought the oil based wood primer for the ceiling with latex white semi gloss finish (4L each).  For the interior walls, we got the cement sealant with base white (only one they had) and water based latex offset beige semi gloss custom color (4L each) so it will match color on tile floors.  Now the hard part is painting the ceiling.  I got the extension pole for roller.  Always best to paint first before laying tile so any drips can be easier to clean on concrete flooring instead of tile. 

Sounds like you're on the right track IT! The extenxion roller is the way to go. We used the white cement sealer with good results.:) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...