Early Christmas BB have arrived

intrepid
Posted
Posted

On our last visit to the states back in April-May we packed five boxes with the usual household stuff and food for ourselves along with items for friends and family.  One box contained an older cast iron dismantled table saw which was very heavy.  It was so heavy that I had the box strapped to help it from falling apart during shipment.  So the boxes arrived today while I was out and my wife was home to take delivery.  She video taped the men rolling the boxes from the front of the truck to the back!  They then used a had dolly to move four boxes inside and left the one with the saw in the garage.  All the boxes seemed to have been crushed.  However, it may have looked that way if that is how they move them from rolling around.  The other obvious thing we noticed was the four boxes had been opened.  When we seal a box it is closed and taped with a commercial grade packing tape with the reinforced nylon thread.  All sides, edges, and ends are taped.  The tape had been cut and boxes opened and then reaped with the cheap clear packing tape.  My wife asked why they had been opened and first he denied and tried to say they were not opened.  When questioned further he told my wife they were opened because they thought there may be something inside that needed ventilation.  My wife took photos of all the boxes and a video as they unloaded also.  The first box has been checked and inventoried and although nothing is missing, one large pyrex cooking pot had broken and a bottle of soap leaked a little.  The delivery guy and my wife both took photos of the broken piece.  He advised my wife to call the office on Monday and report the broken piece and tell about the opened boxes.  Because of other pressing issues the other three boxes will be opened later this evening or tomorrow.  We have used this shipper before many times without incident and so have many of our friends back in the states.  I’m not sure what to think just yet.  I don’t think the boxes were opened by customs but I don’t believe their story.  We are thinking since the shipper advised us not to list a complete inventory on the shipping documents but instead put a list inside the box as well as keep one for ourselves.  Maybe someone opened the boxes and saw the list and decided not to go deeper afraid a complaint would be made if something was missing from the list.  As far as the broken glass pot, that does not concern me near as much as the boxes being opened for no valid reason as of yet.  In any event, just watching those guys rolling the boxes on the truck is enough for me to have a discussion with the business owner.  If after opening the remaining boxes nothing else is missing or broken I will be much happier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Definitely, check with the shipper whether or not the boxes were opened by US Customs (but of course, don't suggest that first as they'll just say "Yes"). We had a BB box delayed because of a "random" search of BB box containers.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Definitely, check with the shipper whether or not the boxes were opened by US Customs (but of course, don't suggest that first as they'll just say "Yes"). We had a BB box delayed because of a "random" search of BB box containers.

Was your box opened or just delayed?

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Was your box opened or just delayed?

Opened and delayed. We didn't ship it ourselves but it was obvious that it had been rifled through. Online tracking from the shipping company had informed us it was delayed for US Customs "inspection" so we knew that way.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

If after opening the remaining boxes nothing else is missing or broken I will be much happier.

Thank you Officer Dan for a detailed heads up.  I must remind myself to be diligent in tracking the "chain of custody", as your personal property travels across the globe.  A simple inventory list readily visible as you open the box was apparently the reason for them to stop rummaging.

But temptation is very tempting........as they approach Christmas time.  They "deserve" self help to have early Christmas gifts......he, he.  Apparently happening NOT only in the Philippines.  

Respectfully Jake  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

We just finished an inventory of the other boxes.  Everything accounted for, nothing missing.  We did find two more broken items.  Glass from picture frames.  My wife shipped four picture frames which I asked her not to.  Of course she knew better and two now have broken glass.  At least the glass can be replaced here and the frames were otherwise not damaged.  One bottle liquid soap leaked a few cc's  No big deal just a little clean on the items it leaked on.  Some cereal boxes got mashed but that was expected.  Now what I can say is there is going to be some happy friends and family as we get to pass some of the goodies out over the next few days.  Can't wait to see their faces.:thumbsup:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Glass from picture frames.

Same when I shipped all my stuff over.  I took a chance with some glass in picture frames and several broke.  You would need a special protective box for them, they are high risk.

Next time, if any, I would take the glass out before shipping and replace it here.  Why?  The broken glass scrapped up some of my wooden frames.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Likewise  what Jake said!

Great information. I’ll pass along to my wife and sister in laws that an inventory sheet real or not could prevent pilferage.

palu
Posted
Posted

If not customs that opened your boxes then it would have to have been an employee of the shipping company. Would you share the name of the shipping company you used?

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

The company is not a large national company and there main office is in the Washington DC area.  We are close friends with one their agents where we shop and ship from in Western Maryland.  Until we talk with them and also the receiving office here in Philippines, I will wait to until we get some answers.  If you are in the DC area and concerned you use them, send me a PM and I will offer the company name. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1