Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m new here. I can pretty much guess this post is not a revelation. It is getting to the point where we are discussing renting a second property (a small studio) closer to where we like to recreate (restaurants, etc.). I’m beginning to think personal malls are in the works. You just go to whichever one is closest no matter if you like it or not. How about childrens school? Hospitals? Do you just move nearby? We had a 7.7 km ride that took 1.5 hours. Their is a traffic firm, maybe from Boston, that declared Cebu would be uninhabitable in a few years. Uninhabitable defined as average speed of 5 Km hour. No citation but you all get the general point.

So just from a humanistic point of view are their any secrets to getting around to have some kind of a life not involved with limiting oneself to 1Km trips? Maybe live in IT, Banilad, etc? No idea, guessing. It’s getting ridiculous. My criteria for meeting another foreigner is if they live very close. Somebody will always live far away. Something that takes me 8 minutes in the U.S takes 40 here.

I think I’d pick a heart surgeon based on traffic not credentials it is getting so bad!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I’m new here. I can pretty much guess this post is not a revelation. It is getting to the point where we are discussing renting a second property (a small studio) closer to where we like to recreate (restaurants, etc.). I’m beginning to think personal malls are in the works. You just go to whichever one is closest no matter if you like it or not. How about childrens school? Hospitals? Do you just move nearby? We had a 7.7 km ride that took 1.5 hours. Their is a traffic firm, maybe from Boston, that declared Cebu would be uninhabitable in a few years. Uninhabitable defined as average speed of 5 Km hour. No citation but you all get the general point.

So just from a humanistic point of view are their any secrets to getting around to have some kind of a life not involved with limiting oneself to 1Km trips? Maybe live in IT, Banilad, etc? No idea, guessing. It’s getting ridiculous. My criteria for meeting another foreigner is if they live very close. Somebody will always live far away. Something that takes me 8 minutes in the U.S takes 40 here.

I think I’d pick a heart surgeon based on traffic not credentials it is getting so bad!

The quickest way to get around anywhere in the Philippines is by motorcycle. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have to agree, we reserve the car for wet days and/or trips where we intend to be out for several hours or more, for shorter trips I've used the Mio 125 (or more recently the Honda 125.

Having said that I've been riding motorbikes of one sort or another since I was a teenager.

Starting riding a motorbike from scratch in your 50s, 60s or even older is something to be done very cautiously and there isn't going to be an ambulance 5 minutes away if you make a 'beginners mistake'.

It takes time, lots of time, before reactions become automatic and before that you're slowly training yourself and at increased risk.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Starting riding a motorbike from scratch in your 50s, 60s or even older is something to be done very cautiously and there isn't going to be an ambulance 5 minutes away if you make a 'beginners mistake'.

It takes time, lots of time, before reactions become automatic and before that you're slowly training yourself and at increased risk.

I have to agree with you, I would not recommend learning to ride here, especially in Metro Manila. But it is the only way to beat the traffic, rather than sitting in it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cebu City had horrible rush hour traffic 20 Years-ago. Now it’s 20 times worse. Agree Banilad is a choice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rainy season, traffic, living in the MRT 7 construction project area. It will effect any plans I have next month in the Phils.   I can see myself not leaving my subdivision :hystery:

    

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

Cebu City had horrible rush hour traffic 20 Years-ago. Now it’s 20 times worse. Agree Banilad is a choice.

Thanks for the warning Bigfoot. A trip to Cebu is my bucket list. :89:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just think 405 going to Bellevue  oldutut! It’s same as Cebu City. Gridlock.

 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't mind my asking.  I am curious as to why you would want to get a second place in Cebu rather than leave the city for someplace less crowded. :89:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, oldutot said:

Rainy season, traffic, living in the MRT 7 construction project area. It will effect any plans I have next month in the Phils.   I can see myself not leaving my subdivision :hystery:

    

Metro Manila, especially Caloocan and Intramuros area are famous for their annual floods.  You may want to steal this from the Philippine military.  Get your US Army jumpers to help you out.  And then pick me up so we could go bar hoppin', OK?  

rigid boat.PNG

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×