Jump to content
bows00

Globe's Mobile WiFi Ripoff

Recommended Posts

I am currently in Davao using an AirBnB condo that doesn't have WiFi, but the owner provided me with Globe's Mobile WiFi unit where you are required to buy data by the MB and man is it expensive!  I just spent 1000 pesos ($20 US) for 8 GB.  The data consumption will depend on what you are doing of course and watching any type of video (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) will consume about 1 GB per hour.  So if you do the math, a typical Netflix movie will cost you around $5 US.  

What they didn't tell me was that the unit has to be turned off when not in use or data can be leaked even if your device (computer/phone) is off.  So poof!  I just lost $20 over night.  In addition, I have to take this device back to the mall to load more data.  I'm currently so disgusted and pissed, I'm contemplating forgoing internet in my condo for the rest of my stay here.  It's going to a very long 19 days.  The things we take for granted back home... 

How can anyone in the Philippines afford this?  I'm surprised there is even a market for this here.    

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.globe.com.ph/prepaid/promos/gowatch29?jsid=98BDE6EC2010D2D79A96AB7A9DF32256.41533795606771

For someone that wrote about eating at all the fancy expensive restaurants I guess reality is setting in :rolleyes: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if it's still offered but last time I was there I just bought a sim and paid 1k PHP for unlimited for the month - One of the phone kiosks in the arrival hall at T2 NAIA.  Hooked up my tablet via bluetooth and watched away.  As I said, don't know if it's still offered and can't find it on their site now, but then again I couldn't when I was there either.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You can load it yourself.  Just take the sim out, put it in a phone and top it up.  I use supersurf 50. 50 peso for 1gb and valid for 3 days.  Once activated put the sim back in the router. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bows00 said:

I am currently in Davao using an AirBnB condo that doesn't have WiFi, but the owner provided me with Globe's Mobile WiFi unit where you are required to buy data by the MB and man is it expensive!  I just spent 1000 pesos ($20 US) for 8 GB.  The data consumption will depend on what you are doing of course and watching any type of video (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) will consume about 1 GB per hour.  So if you do the math, a typical Netflix movie will cost you around $5 US.  

What they didn't tell me was that the unit has to be turned off when not in use or data can be leaked even if your device (computer/phone) is off.  So poof!  I just lost $20 over night.  In addition, I have to take this device back to the mall to load more data.  I'm currently so disgusted and pissed, I'm contemplating forgoing internet in my condo for the rest of my stay here.  It's going to a very long 19 days.  The things we take for granted back home... 

How can anyone in the Philippines afford this?  I'm surprised there is even a market for this here.    

You should have rented my condo ,it's got WiFi 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bows00 said:

watching any type of video (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) will consume about 1 GB per hour. 

And there is the problem.

Most people who use Globe Tattoo or other Globe Mobile Wifi will only consume up to 800 mb per day because all the promos are capped at that.  It means those who are rich foreigners have to pay through the nose if you want to use 1GB or more per day.  The solution is to have more sims.  If you download a lot, via Globe, you need to register to a plan like GoSurf (link here).  When you reach your 800mb for the day just switch sims and re-register.  Repeat as required.  After midnight your 800 mb starts over again and it continues like that up to the limit of the plan you have chosen.

50 pesos buys you 1 GB so the 8 GB you used would cost you 400 pesos using a plan like that.  Still expensive, but most of us learn to conserve our Internet use until we have an unlimited connection, like in a coffee shop with free wifi.

My data plan is for 2 GB a month and it is plenty.  That is because I only use it when I am away from my home (where I have an unlimited plan). 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pocket wifi devices (Globe or Smart) aren’t intended for home use, they’re for light use on wifi tablets and similar when you’re away from your residence. 

 

It only costs about 1300 monthly here in CDO for unli ADSL broadband or a bit more for faster fibre, we pay (from memory) 2799 monthly for unli cable at (up to) 20Mbps with 130 (ish) cable TV (HD and SD) channels for example.

 

There are even basic cable SD TV packages with free unli 1Mbps Internet included for as little as 499 to 799 per month.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And there is the problem.

Most people who use Globe Tattoo or other Globe Mobile Wifi will only consume up to 800 mb per day because all the promos are capped at that.  It means those who are rich foreigners have to pay through the nose if you want to use 1GB or more per day.  The solution is to have more sims.  If you download a lot, via Globe, you need to register to a plan like GoSurf (link here).  When you reach your 800mb for the day just switch sims and re-register.  Repeat as required.  After midnight your 800 mb starts over again and it continues like that up to the limit of the plan you have chosen.

50 pesos buys you 1 GB so the 8 GB you used would cost you 400 pesos using a plan like that.  Still expensive, but most of us learn to conserve our Internet use until we have an unlimited connection, like in a coffee shop with free wifi.

My data plan is for 2 GB a month and it is plenty.  That is because I only use it when I am away from my home (where I have an unlimited plan). 

 

I assume you are talking about using a smartphone - Globe home wifi plans offer sufficient data and you can top up when you run out to tide you over to the end of the month until your new capacity kicks in.  I think my plan is 100GB per month for 1299php and I can buy an extra 50GB for 99php 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I assume you are talking about using a smartphone

No assumption needed.  I said it outright:

3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

people who use Globe Tattoo or other Globe Mobile Wifi

And the reason is:

8 hours ago, bows00 said:

I am currently in Davao using an AirBnB condo

Now what kind of person would put a long-term, home wifi plan, into a rented AirBnB condo?  If the landlord does not offer it then its time to move along or use the mobile solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Now what kind of person would put a long-term, home wifi plan, into a rented AirBnB condo? 

Almost all as that is my business these days and condos we offer have skycable. :thumbsup:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×