Bombardier Q400 stolen and crashed by airline employee

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A Q400 was taken for an unauthorized flight from Seatac International by a mentally disturbed airline employee and crashed into a rural local island.

We live near that airport. The outcome could have been so much worse. This is something we expect to read happening in Philippines but can occur any place. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

A Q400 was taken for an unauthorized flight from Seatac International by a mentally disturbed airline employee and crashed into a rural local island.

We live near that airport. The outcome could have been so much worse. This is something we expect to read happening in Philippines but can occur any place. 

Agree, it could have been much much worse. Me thinks had it not been for the F-15’s, the deranged mechanic who stole the aircraft would’ve crashed into a more populated area. Undoubtedly the fighter pilots warned him off to a more remote area and, although it’s yet  to be confirmed (and may never be - at least publicly) it’s possible they shot him down. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/11/us/plane-crash-unauthorized-takeoff/index.html

Regardless, it’s scary to not only think about the possible outcomes of his crashing the plane, but about the apparent relative ease in which the aircraft was stolen, taxied and lifted off from a major airport without any other incident occurring. It’s just as likely he could have caused or been involved in a mid air crash too. 

Just glad no other innocent lives were lost. 

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

In the UK we now have a special runway at Stansted airport to deal with this type of thing and two permanently on scramble duties eurofighters 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bastonjock said:

In the UK we now have a special runway at Stansted airport to deal with this type of thing......

Padded? Blokes waiting with straight jackets🧥

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gator said:

Padded? Blokes waiting with straight jackets🧥

They have it set up for hijacks , stuff like that and real soldier's to deal with it 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

When the German pilot did it a few years back he took passengers into the mountain side with him.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gary D said:

When the German pilot did it a few years back he took passengers into the mountain side with him.

Yeah but this guy wasn't licensed to carry passengers :whistling:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

a mentally disturbed airline employee

That scares me.  One would think there was a screening process for this.  Anyone can go off-balance from emotionally upsetting events,  (like his wife running off with his best friend which I use as an example of what could have set him off), but surely a co-worker would send him to the company shrink for stress leave?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Anyone can go off-balance from emotionally upsetting events

I lived in Washington state for 30+ years.  I think just living in Seattle could make some people go off-balance.  Washington demographics are almost like two separate states, very liberal on the west side, very conservative on the east side.  I lived east of the mountains in Yakima.  

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That scares me.  One would think there was a screening process for this

He wasn't a pilot or anything but the persons who guide the planes in and also de ice the planes according to new reports so just a labourer which in most places would not require much more than a security pass.