Bombardier Q400 stolen and crashed by airline employee

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is a huge security failure and the statement from Horizon's spoke person was ridiculous. There is absolutely no oversight on idle aircraft according to Seatac management. It would be easy for an extremist or crazy person to take an aircraft and do whatever as things are now. All they need is a job working on the flight line inside the security zone.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Old55 said:

It would be easy for an extremist or crazy person to take an aircraft and do whatever as things are now. All they need is a job working on the flight line inside the security zone.

So they are labeling this as the act of a crazy person.  What are the chances that an extremist figured it out and the authorities are downplaying that angle?

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I smile and wonder if it will become a Craze of some sort :whistling:

Airplane Pilot flying.jpg sorry could not resist this  embarrased  man.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Haha 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

..........in most places would not require much more than a security pass.  

To gain access to all commercial airports (cargo and tarmac) and port facilities all that’s needed is a TWIC (Transport Workers Identification Card) badge. To get one you need to have a job at the facility or be working for a company that does business there (like delivery drivers), pass a computerized background check and get fingerprinted (all done off site at a TSA office). Due to my work, I have a TWIC card which is valid for 5 years.

As a passenger at an airport you have to almost strip naked to get thru security, but anyone with a TWIC badge could enter thru the cargo gate and literally drive a semi truck onto the tarmac. Think there might be a flaw in the system? 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

This is unprecedented, nothing like this has happened before?  I think Homeland Security, TSA and Air National Guard would need to overhaul their security procedures to include this new threat angle.  

Besides high concentration of urban population within seconds from SeaTac International Airport, there are some very important and strategic military bases that are nearby as well.  I was stationed at Bremerton, WA, the home port for a few Nimitz class carriers and further north, Bangor Trident Sub base.  All juicy targets for a deranged mind willing to go for 15 seconds of fame on Face Book.  

State and federal agencies better get off their ass on this one.........

PS -- don't they lock parked air crafts anymore?  Nah......who is crazy enough to steal an F-16 anyway?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1