Dirty fuel to make a come back

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Surly there are better ways? Do they suddenly forget about people's health? :89:

Philippines to Authorize Selling Cheap, Dirtier Fuel

The Philippines is trying to curb its inflation running at five-year highs by ordering companies to make available for sale cheaper but dirtier fuel, backtracking on a ban on such fuels introduced two years ago for improving air quality. Philippines’ Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi is taking steps to address slowing economic growth and high commodity prices by telling companies to sell low-cost fuels, and the government-owned Philippine National Oil Company-Exploration Corporation to import low-priced fuel, the energy ministry was quoted as saying by Oil Price.

“For the purpose of reducing the impact of rising petroleum prices in the world market, all industry players are hereby directed to provide at the retail level Euro-II compliant automotive diesel oil as a fuel option for transport and industrial customers,” it added.

The Philippines switched to Euro-IV compliant fuels in January 2016, replacing the Euro-II standard, which allowed for much higher sulfur content in diesel.

Euro-IV compliant fuels have sulfur content of 50 parts per million, compared to 500 ppm for Euro-II fuels.

The energy ministry’s plan, however, now needs to be approved by the environment department.

“We are studying it right now, giving consideration to their plan to cushion inflation. We’re also looking at the implications for emissions,” Jonas Leones, undersecretary at the Environment and Natural Resources Department, told Reuters on Friday.

On Thursday, the Philippines’s central bank raised again the key interest rate, by 50 basis points to 4%—the third such increase this year following rate hikes in May and in June.

The August rate decision was widely expected, with all 19 analysts polled by Reuters forecasting a rate hike. Inflation in the Philippines jumped to an annual rate of 5.7% in July, up from 5.2% in June.  Economic growth, on the other hand, slowed down to 6% in the second quarter—nearly a three-year-low and below analyst expectations of 6.7% growth.

https://financialtribune.com/articles/energy/91591/philippines-to-authorize-selling-cheap-dirtier-fuel

• Sad 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

For the purpose of reducing the impact of rising petroleum prices in the world market

That must be because this columnist says " Nobel Laureate Dr. Kary Mullis declared that climatology is a joke. He pointed out that there is no scientific evidence whatever that our CO2 is, or can ever “drive” climate change."

So if there is no Global Warming lets get back to dirty fuel.  Ummm, what about pollution?  Ahh fugggedaboutit.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That must be because this columnist says " Nobel Laureate Dr. Kary Mullis declared that climatology is a joke. He pointed out that there is no scientific evidence whatever that our CO2 is, or can ever “drive” climate change."

So if there is no Global Warming lets get back to dirty fuel.  Ummm, what about pollution?  Ahh fugggedaboutit.

Well, if the Earth is actually flat, it must be the government chips in our heads that are stopping us from flipping it over to the cool side like a pillow. :bonk:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My vehicle requires Diesel #2 fuel. Some gas stations advertising diesel availability from a distance won't tell you it is bio-diesel (5% to 20%) until you are at the pump. The fuel efficiency (miles per gallon) is less and it is not good for the engine. The vehicle manufacturer had issued a warning against it. All warranties are cancelled if you use more than 5% bio-diesel.

The use of "dirty fuel" in the Philippines is okay provided there is notification at the gas station. You than have a choice. Otherwise, vehicles won't run efficiently if you use fuels that are not calibrated for certain types of engine. I am assuming they won't make the use of "dirty" fuel across the board so you have no choice.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My vehicle requires Diesel #2 fuel. Some gas stations advertising diesel availability from a distance won't tell you it is bio-diesel (5% to 20%) until you are at the pump. The fuel efficiency (miles per gallon) is less and it is not good for the engine. The vehicle manufacturer had issued a warning against it. All warranties are cancelled if you use more than 5% bio-diesel.

The use of "dirty fuel" in the Philippines is okay provided there is notification at the gas station. You than have a choice. Otherwise, vehicles won't run efficiently if you use fuels that are not calibrated for certain types of engine. I am assuming they won't make the use of "dirty" fuel across the board so you have no choice.

being the cheapskate that I am , I ran my 2.8td Pajero on a 50/50 diesel and rapeseed mix , it was not a good idea for some vehicles and a definite no no on modern euro type engines , the Pajero can take it , you do smell like a deepfat fryer going down the road and you get the odd drunk trying to look for a fish and chip shop as you pass

the original diesel engine was intended to be run on vegetable oil 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

you do smell like a deepfat fryer going down the road and you get the odd drunk trying to look for a fish and chip shop as you pass

Also the danger of getting rear ended by a dog pack. :hystery:

• Haha 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I unintentionally got half a tank of the cheap stuff last time. I was on a long drive today and noticed no difference. Of course my L300 has a euro2 engine in it. I used hi silver diesel for years in heavy equipment, have seen many people put it in their diesel pickups and never saw a problem because of it.

As for JJ's motorhome, you might add a quart or two of motor oil if you have no choice but off fuel. #2 is only, injection pumps lasted a long time with it. #1 is a lot less oily. Fuel systems for 1980's Freightliner trucks was assembled with pipe dope on threads and #1 diesel dissolved the pipe dope and made them leak. I repaired many of them in the 90's.