Leaving you Comfort Zone?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I often wonder myself what my main motivation for retiring to the Philippines is. Partly it's to make my wife happy but if I do a little soul searching, I think what I need is to get out of my comfort zone, and if that means being a little miserable sometimes then so be it.

Hey guys,

The above quotation I hijacked from Heeb (Greg) who just came on board (I hope you don't mind Greg).  It may have been discussed before but I think it needs to be updated with some fresh inputs.  Thank you Greg for your concerns about taking the 1st step into the unknown and more importantly, taking the first step away from your comfort zone.  

Leaving your comfort zone?  I don't know what the percentage is to reflect your happy factor that's beginning to tank and getting worse at your home country.  Perhaps it was recently a marital issue, family issue, financial issue and soon that deep depression residing inside of you, will become a medical issue.   Yeah, what kind of comfort zone is that?

Upon arriving to the Philippines, how does one set up a new comfort zone?  Or depending upon your personality, what are you willing to give up?  How well can you adjust your tolerance level to a new and strange culture?  If you were grumpy in your "old life", would you still be grumpy in your new life?  

Respectfully Jake  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My decision to retire early and head to SEA was my desire to get out of my comfort zone and experience life more fully, to have some adventures, to go where no man... wait that last part is from Star Trek.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not long to go to start our new chapter of our life, not sure when and where it shall be but we are going to the USA for a month or so touring so it will be like a big holiday at first, then its trying to find a place in Spain for a few months then its getting over to the Phils to see how that takes us, i must add it may not be in that order .

The biggest change for me is no more work which is sort of my comfort zone.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Steve, I'm starting to think the same way. It's time to put the work grind behind. That would be a big step out of my comfort zone too.

I'm looking forward to spending part of every year in Philippines. 

• Like 5

bows00
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

The biggest change for me is no more work which is sort of my comfort zone

Achieving financial independence opens doors for many options in life.  It gave me the option to leave the comforts of Hawaii and move to the Philippines for a year to find my true purpose in life.  I needed time away from the island rock and I'm really enjoying it here so far.  

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I sort of retired about 6 weeks ago due to redundancy but as the wife is not ready to move yet I've taken a marking time job for the time being. The Phils this time next year at the latest.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I can get in a rut, but have never really needed a comfort zone.  I could happily live out of airports & hotels.  I always felt constrained by having roots (but you know, kids will sprout roots).  So I never had any real problems fitting in and being comfortable here.  Now, I do like my aircon and don't like the thumpity-thump-thump stereos...

I had a couple friends move back to the US because they missed some important stuff - decent quality food, football, and nascar ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I had a couple friends move back to the US because they missed some important stuff - decent quality food, football, and nascar ha ha  :tiphat:

How about the language too! :hystery: Sorry Tim, but at least they gave it a try :thumbsup:

• Like 1