Leaving you Comfort Zone?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Gary, how do you take care of your property when you are out of the country?

You are at the mercy of the management company.Even if they have a good reputation thing can go awry very quickly.The last lot I got rid of cost me over 800UK and I was only given 250 by the letting agency who would not even consider my side of the story.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

You are at the mercy of the management company.Even if they have a good reputation thing can go awry very quickly.The last lot I got rid of cost me over 800UK and I was only given 250 by the letting agency who would not even consider my side of the story.

No, in Gary's case, 6 mo here, 6 mo there, I was referring to who takes care of the house while he is in the Philippines.  I assume it is left empty or with a caretaker.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

No, in Gary's case, 6 mo here, 6 mo there, I was referring to who takes care of the house while he is in the Philippines.  I assume it is left empty or with a caretaker.

Haven't thought that far ahead yet. I don't think the renting route would work. Our son will still be here in the UK, he has just finished university and is looking for a job. If he can find a placement locally like Cambridge for instance he could live in our house for the cost of the utilities etc. If he moves away an option is to sell up and buy something local to him. A flat would work as long as it has a garage for the car. Being able to just shut the door and not worry about gardens etc would be good but we would still have the underlying costs plus the housing association dues, so not a cheap option either. Our son renting from us would be the best and we don't want to lose the bolthole in the UK in case the wife can't get on with all of the crap in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Our son renting from us would be the best and we don't want to lose the bolthole in the UK in case the wife can't get on with all of the crap in the Philippines.

That sounds the  best option, I would say Gary :thumbsup:

The stories I've heard about bad Tennant's would put anyone off renting out their home.

Leaving your home unoccupied  for months would invalidate you insurance cover too and be to risky especially in winter. (burst pipes etc)

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Well it's Sunday morning here in Spokane and the wife just left for work, it's my home alone day, so what to do? I used to think about retiring to P.I. mostly when I was at work, on my days off not nearly as much, now I think about it constantly. Last summer I went on a motorcycle trip to Alaska with some friends, it was a rough trip for me because of my back and tent camping I couldn't get a good nights rest, it was hot at times, 99 degrees, rainy, and we went through a snow storm. One of the riders called it quits and headed back home at day two, I wanted quit at day four but my friends talked me out of it. As I sit in front of my computer on my day off, still in my drawers, I wish I was on that trip right now, even thought at the time I said never again. I know when we're living in the P.I. I might have those same feelings so I'm keeping the house here for awhile, I really would love to sell it because I'm tired of the upkeep, I'm hoping that we will love retirement over there so I can sell. I was also thinking that maybe we could take breaks from the Philippines to another country but with a dog it might be difficult.

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, stevewool said:

Talking to a few friends that have property they rent out , they have had some bad tenants but on the most they have more good then bad and like you if you can get a long term renter then you are on to a good thing.

Being a landlord is one thing, but being a long distant landlord is another.  I have weighed my options and have decided to keep my Hawaii condo vacant during my travel ventures.  I would sell it before becoming a long distant landlord.  

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2018 at 10:10 PM, Jake said:

Hey Joe,

I could remember Seattle being like San Diego but more laid back.  While San Diego had illegals, I believe Seattle or the Pacific Northwest area was being inundated with lost Americans trying to escape normal life by going bare ass naked in the woods of the PNW.  Sort of like The Burning Man and Woodstock all rolled into one happy joint.  Don't worry, be happy was their slogan, camping out on the streets and nearby wilderness before heading north to Alaska.....he, he.  Yeah, and the politicians and politics are going to chit too.  

I had a very nice comfort zone while residing in Silverdale, Kitsap county and wouldn't mind living there again.  But as Dan (Old55) would suggest, maybe 6 in, 6 out rotation.  It would seem like a fair compromise -- being able to return back to home base while you need more time to adjust/adapt/reject your new comfort zone.  

Perhaps that would be my comfort zone -- remaining flexible?  

Being able to stay in two places would probably be a good thing. For myself I think it would be harder as an expat to make the transition to a new life. While in one place, I might still be thinking about the other place. Always adjusting to where I was at any given time, without committing to either one. I was ready to make the move, and made up my mind that I'd make it work no matter what, so that has helped me I think to more easily adapt. That's just my perception though. 

For specific reasons though, having a part time life here could be a great and acceptable thing for many. 

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted
On 8/19/2018 at 9:52 AM, OnMyWay said:

Our main house in Bataan, the mother in law lives there, father in law died 25 years ago. The small house near Dumeguete, an aged aunt and cousin live there.

• Like 1