Leaving you Comfort Zone?

oldutot
Posted
Posted

Hey Jake,

This trip I plan to make a hard look of being a expat there.  I no longer have the support of my two brother

in laws. I just don't see myself in the PNW being retire, the place is too liberal for me. 

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, oldutot said:

Hey Jake,

This trip I plan to make a hard look of being a expat there.  I no longer have the support of my two brother

in laws. I just don't see myself in the PNW being retire, the place is too liberal for me.            

Hey Joe,

I could remember Seattle being like San Diego but more laid back.  While San Diego had illegals, I believe Seattle or the Pacific Northwest area was being inundated with lost Americans trying to escape normal life by going bare ass naked in the woods of the PNW.  Sort of like The Burning Man and Woodstock all rolled into one happy joint.  Don't worry, be happy was their slogan, camping out on the streets and nearby wilderness before heading north to Alaska.....he, he.  Yeah, and the politicians and politics are going to chit too.  

I had a very nice comfort zone while residing in Silverdale, Kitsap county and wouldn't mind living there again.  But as Dan (Old55) would suggest, maybe 6 in, 6 out rotation.  It would seem like a fair compromise -- being able to return back to home base while you need more time to adjust/adapt/reject your new comfort zone.  

Perhaps that would be my comfort zone -- remaining flexible?  

• Like 2

oldutot
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jake said:

Hey Joe,

I could remember Seattle being like San Diego but more laid back.  While San Diego had illegals, I believe Seattle or the Pacific Northwest area was being inundated with lost Americans trying to escape normal life by going bare ass naked in the woods of the PNW.  Sort of like The Burning Man and Woodstock all rolled into one happy joint.  Don't worry, be happy was their slogan, camping out on the streets and nearby wilderness before heading north to Alaska.....he, he.  Yeah, and the politicians and politics are going to chit too.  

I had a very nice comfort zone while residing in Silverdale, Kitsap county and wouldn't mind living there again.  But as Dan (Old55) would suggest, maybe 6 in, 6 out rotation.  It would seem like a fair compromise -- being able to return back to home base while you need more time to adjust/adapt/reject your new comfort zone.  

Perhaps that would be my comfort zone -- remaining flexible?  

Seattle is looking to be the next Silicon Valley, Jake .  Kitsap now is overprice in real estate value. Seattle was nice living eighties and nineties. I see Dan and  myself paying the Seattle's head Tax real soon:hystery::shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Old55 said:

Steve, I'm starting to think the same way. It's time to put the work grind behind. That would be a big step out of my comfort zone too.

I'm looking forward to spending part of every year in Philippines. 

Now my daughter has told us she does not want the house, it has thrown different paths in our way, we dont need the cash from the sale just yet and renting it out later in a year or so , we may just keep it and just like you visit the Phils for a longer stay and then pop back here, that way there is no rent to pay at any place.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Now my daughter has told us she does not want the house, it has thrown different paths in our way, we dont need the cash from the sale just yet and renting it out later in a year or so , we may just keep it and just like you visit the Phils for a longer stay and then pop back here, that way there is no rent to pay at any place.

Steve, I would say that is wise for you guys. Spend several months in Philippines see how it goes. You may find living there part time is right for you. Whatever it takes we all wish you both the best it's a big step.

In my case due to my wife Ann's medical condition we could not live there full time even if we wanted to. But spending several months once or twice a year maybe perfect for us.

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

Yes we plan to start off doing 6 + 6, the only downside is it is expensive to retain a property in the UK, can see it taking 20% of our pension with the taxes and utilities etc.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Yes we plan to start off doing 6 + 6, the only downside is it is expensive to retain a property in the UK, can see it taking 20% of our pension with the taxes and utilities etc.

Have you considered , selling the house , parking your money in either a one bedroom flat or like I've done , a motorhome ?

I considered many options and I don't want the hassle of renting somewhere out , my best buddy is a good example , he has a Tennant about 4 months behind in his rent , he's going through the proper legal channels to evict him , but at the end of the day his costs will be in the region of 6k gb pounds plus and damage to the property 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Gary, how do you take care of your property when you are out of the country?

12 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Have you considered , selling the house , parking your money in either a one bedroom flat or like I've done , a motorhome ?

I considered many options and I don't want the hassle of renting somewhere out , my best buddy is a good example , he has a Tennant about 4 months behind in his rent , he's going through the proper legal channels to evict him , but at the end of the day his costs will be in the region of 6k gb pounds plus and damage to the property 

I've been lucky with my tenants and never had a real bad one.  I've been renting the house since 2006, and now to the same family for the last 5 years.  I was going to sell the house to them and we had a lease with option to buy deal for the past 2.5 years, but they can't do it, so I pocket all the extra rent they were paying me.  Now we will go back to a regular lease and as long as I am not too greedy with the rent increases, they will probably stay much longer.  They always pay the rent and take good care of the house.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

, he has a Tennant about 4 months behind in his rent , he's going through the proper legal channels to evict him , but at the end of the day his costs will be in the region of 6k gb pounds plus and damage to the property 

Yes that is the down side in renting out, frightening it sounds.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Gary, how do you take care of your property when you are out of the country?

I've been lucky with my tenants and never had a real bad one.  I've been renting the house since 2006, and now to the same family for the last 5 years.  I was going to sell the house to them and we had a lease with option to buy deal for the past 2.5 years, but they can't do it, so I pocket all the extra rent they were paying me.  Now we will go back to a regular lease and as long as I am not too greedy with the rent increases, they will probably stay much longer.  They always pay the rent and take good care of the house.

Talking to a few friends that have property they rent out , they have had some bad tenants but on the most they have more good then bad and like you if you can get a long term renter then you are on to a good thing.

Still time to look into selling /renting or keeping, having my daughter and son still living in the house until they decide when to leave will help pay the bills when we are not in the house.

• Like 1