Bringing knife to Phils from US restrictions?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Knives are not mentioned at all in prohibited checked in items.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/dangerous.html

But they are mentioned here as allowed, https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/knives

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Knives are not mentioned at all in prohibited checked in items.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/dangerous.html

But they are mentioned here as allowed, https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/knives

Seems like a loophole a crazy could take advantage of, if they are hell bent on terror.  I believe at most airports you have full access to your check-in bags while waiting to check-in.  So a crazy could get big knives out of his check-in bags while in the terminal, and do some damage before being stopped.

Yes, almost the same as doing damage with big knives anyplace outside an airport in a crowded place, but an airport attack gets more publicity and shuts the airport down for a while.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Seems like a loophole a crazy could take advantage of, if they are hell bent on terror.  I believe at most airports you have full access to your check-in bags while waiting to check-in.  So a crazy could get big knives out of his check-in bags while in the terminal, and do some damage before being stopped.

Yes, almost the same as doing damage with big knives anyplace outside an airport in a crowded place, but an airport attack gets more publicity and shuts the airport down for a while.

Last year, a guy in Florida took a gun from his checked bag in the baggage claim area of the Ft. Lauderdale airport and killed five people with it. So, yep, allowing any kind of weapon in checked baggage is a big loophole. With guns, you could maybe ban ammunition. That would make it harder for a passenger to use. But for knives? Whaddaya gonna do?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2018 at 9:03 PM, Old55 said:

I brought a 12 inch bolo back from Philippines in my checked baggage I'm sure your friend would not have an issue.

Wow Dan,

Didn't know that you're that faithful to your wife's weapon.  Judy keeps her's sharpened all the time.....he, he.  Good boy ako........

Anyway guys, seems like bladed weapons are allowed in checked baggage at both destinations.  But for me, even as a Filipino arriving at Manila airport, I felt uneasiness or feeling slightly paranoid.  I would rather send my stuff via BB boxes.  

You never know what is coming up for the next airport scam, especially during major election campaign where someone needs hard cash.  Remember the Bullet Scam?  

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Last year, a guy in Florida took a gun from his checked bag in the baggage claim area of the Ft. Lauderdale airport and killed five people with it. So, yep, allowing any kind of weapon in checked baggage is a big loophole. With guns, you could maybe ban ammunition. That would make it harder for a passenger to use. But for knives? Whaddaya gonna do?

I remember that. I was scheduled to fly to that airport. Made me have to spend an additional night away from home because of the delay.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

Remember the Bullet Scam?  

Never heard of it and just looked it up. Wow that's crazy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
canadamale
Posted
Posted

I brought a three inch folding Buck knife in my checked baggage, no problem. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, canadamale said:

That surprises me. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, canadamale said:

Even in Canada, the security personnel have different rules and different discretion from airport to airport.  When I boarded the plane in Nanaimo the security person on the XRay machine opened the checked luggage of the person ahead of me and removed a can of Gillette Foamy shave cream.  Many other airports or security people would have let that pass.  Especially since the flight from Nanaimo to Vancouver is just a puddle jump.

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I checked the bag in Prince George which is a smaller airport, which may explain. The bag was checked through to Manila.1535932409878514144698.jpg