Desktop computers - Clark or Subic area

PakWaan
Posted
Posted (edited)

I’m looking for a store that sells desktop computers (PC), either in Subic or Angeles. I’m looking for branded computers that are prebuilt and in stock, not a shop that will put one together from pieces. Any ideas?

Edited by PakWaan

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

21 inch iMac can be bought from any PowerMac shop for about 65,000 peso and there is one in Subic.

Harbor Point, Rizal Avenue Extension, Subic Bay Freeport Zone, Olongapo, 2200 Zambales
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Bodega Site, small store caddy corner to Harbor Point has some.  I have bought a few printers there and they have always been fair.

http://www.pcbodega.com/pcb/pricelistsort.php

I think a few shops inside Harbor Point have pre-built pcs but I'm not sure of the brands.  Also in SM Olongapo there are a few stores.  If you go to SM Clark they have a much larger tech area.

I've got an older (6 years?) Lenova collecting dust.  I switched to a laptop.  Want to try it?

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

If you don't mind me asking, why do you prefer pre-built machines over custom jobs? Just curious, as I have always been the exact opposite.

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

If you don't mind me asking, why do you prefer pre-built machines over custom jobs? Just curious, as I have always been the exact opposite.

I've always built my own. Well, after my first Packard-Bell in 1995. But from now on, it's ready-made laptops for me. Even then, phones and my great nemesis, the tablet, are replacing even lappies.

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

I owned a computer store in the 90s and have built thousands of custom PCs.  I knew which power supplies were best, which brands of motherboards worked better with certain brands of video cards than others, etc.   I’ve been out of that world for quite a while and don’t necessarily trust that some PC shop here will do as good a job of vetting their component suppliers as Dell or Lenovo do.  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

But from now on, it's ready-made laptops for me.

Just as easy to connect a laptop to a big screen and wireless keyboard and away you go and when you do go away you take the laptop with you. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Based on your question, I assume your a Windows kind of guy.  The Angeles SM mall has a bunch of computer stores on the top floors - I would start there if I were in AC.  

• Love it 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted (edited)

I worked at MSFT for a little over 17 years and opened a few PC shops while there. I started the first one in 1989 in Bellevue, Wa. and added 7 more in other cities around the Puget Sound area. Back in the those days a PC shop was a great way to earn a living (or an extra income in my case,) and we all made small fortunes with Windows 3.11 (easy small-office networking) and again with Windows 95 (there were quite a few Microsoft people who got into PC retail.) By the time Windows 98 and Windows ME came around, though, profit margins were getting smaller and smaller, and I saw the writing on the wall. So, I sold out to a larger competitor in 2000 (one of the best decisions I ever made.)

I suppose my point is that many of the manufacturers you probably remember from the 90s are still around making quality products. For instance, Asus, MSI and Super Micro still make great motherboards. WD, Seagate, Samsung and others still make good hard drives. And, Antec, ThermalTake and Cooler Master still make quality cases, coolers and power supplies. These days, your only real choice for video cards are ATI (now branded AMD) and nVidia. Both companies make good video card chipsets and usually really doesn't matter who makes the actual card itself. Of course, with many newer AMD and Intel processors, the integrated video GPU is really good on its own unless you're an avid FPS gamer.

Of course, some of the big manufacturers from the 80s and 90s are not around anymore. Diamond Video cards, Number 9 video cards, Maxtor and Connor drives to name just a few.

While I don't really miss the computer business (just too much work for very little money these days,) I do miss getting into the guts of the systems and tinkering. So, I still much prefer to build my own. And, a lot of the compatibility issues we faced in the old days are really not much a problem anymore. For the most part, components really are just plug and play. Windows, Linux and MacOS all do a much better job these days in regards to drivers and compatibility.

I have dealt with quite a few PC shops here, and in my experience, most are pretty decent when it comes to having knowledgeable techs on staff. PC help and repair forums in the Philippines are very active and the way they help and support each other is pretty impressive. So, I would say that as long as you deal with a reputable shop, you shouldn't have a problem finding a reliable system in a given price range. On the other hand, knowing exactly which components you want when you walk in the door is always the best way to ensure compatibility and improved performance. After all, Google is your friend and very, very accommodating when it comes to researching potential builds.

Still, if you're looking for "branded" pre-built systems, that is certainly a viable option so long as you stay away from the budget or entry-level systems. Business or enterprise-class desktop systems from Dell or HP are usually okay for performance, and Lenovo ThinkPads are still reliable and rugged (for the most part.) Any of the nationwide PC chains in the Philippines should be able to help you out with branded pre-builts (i.e. Octagon or PC Express).

If you want to get back into building, Thinking Tools (if there is one in your area,) and BenStore are good options for buying components. No matter which route you go, though, make sure you're dealing with authorized dealers and only buy products manufactured for distribution in Asia and the Philippines. If you buy a new system off Amazon, chances are really good the warranty won't be valid while you're here. HTH

Edited by JeSsDaDdY
  • Like 2
  • Love it 2

PakWaan
Posted
Posted

After visiting a ton of stores both in Subic and Angeles, I gave up.  No one has anything prebuilt with decent specs.  I’m going to have PC Worx here in Subic build one for me.

• Like 3