Honk Kong International Airport

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My wife and I did the 30 minute sprint at HKG flying Cathay years ago. They had flight attendants with placards along the way to help find the Cathay gate, but that was a long hike. We made it but not sure I want to do that again. My guess is your taking the same Cathay flight from SEA? 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

My wife and I did the 30 minute sprint at HKG flying Cathay years ago. They had flight attendants with placards along the way to help find the Cathay gate, but that was a long hike. We made it but not sure I want to do that again. My guess is your taking the same Cathay flight from SEA? 

No it is from LAX to HKG was at first trying to get direct to Manila but then this came up. I was eventually going to go to Cebu during my month there so thought I might just start there instead.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

was at first trying to get direct to Manila but then this came up

The next time I go to L.A. with the family I'm going to try the MNL-LAX non-stop on PAL.  They have 777-300's on the route so hopefully it is ok, and the economy prices have been good when I looked.

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, marine6357 said:

This is all thru Cathy Pacific so not sure about them. Ok another choice is a 14 hour layover. really dont want to spend half a day in an airport.

If you do decide to take the 14 hour layover flight,  i would recommend you dont spend it in the airport. Hong Kong is a 24hr city and you can easily get  out and explore the city and have ample time to get back through security. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We flew Cathey earlier this year and the que at security was a bit worrysome, but we made it, it was about 1 1/2 layover.

marine6357
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gas said:

If you do decide to take the 14 hour layover flight,  i would recommend you dont spend it in the airport. Hong Kong is a 24hr city and you can easily get  out and explore the city and have ample time to get back through security. 

Thats my thinking also get a mini vacation during my vacation.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

Thats my thinking also get a mini vacation during my vacation.

Hong Kong is easy to get around in using the MTR. Buy an octopus card at the airport rail line. Two rail services. Airport Express goes into Hong Kong Island (Central) about 45 minutes? The Airport Express has one stop just off Lantau Island if I remember you can connect to other MTR from that to visit any place in Hong Kong & New Territories. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Hong Kong is easy to get around in using the MTR. Buy an octopus card at the airport rail line. Two rail services. Airport Express goes into Hong Kong Island (Central) about 45 minutes? The Airport Express has one stop just off Lantau Island if I remember you can connect to other MTR from that to visit any place in Hong Kong & New Territories. 

Good advice, but it only works if the layover is when the MTR operares - it's not a 24-hour system and closes down between 12:30ish and 5:00ish.

The alternative is an expensive taxi or bus - bus is fine from airport to the City. 

Personally, there is nothing to do in the small hours unless you're into clubbing and drinking, so i wouldn't go into the city after 11pm.

There are 3 stops on the airport express to/from the city.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 8/18/2018 at 8:04 PM, marine6357 said:

This is all thru Cathy Pacific so not sure about them. Ok another choice is a 14 hour layover. really dont want to spend half a day in an airport.

Keep in mind that the immigration clearance areas are called “Tranfer Stations”. There are several of them, but, if I recall correctly, only 2 are open 24/7; so be sure to read the signs. I usually look which way the “herd” is heading and go to the opposite transfer station.....W1 or W2 I think. 

You do not need to fill out an arrival card, only need to show them your passport and boarding pass for the connecting flight. 

Also keep an eye on the departure board.....last month when I went thru (CRK > DFW) there was a last minute gate change and I wasn’t paying attention, so I didn’t find out until I reached the gate. Was a long walk back almost to the gate I arrived at, lol, but at least I had plenty of time. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Some years ago we arrived at HK on the way home at about 10pm and 90% of the shops were closing for the night. Our flight was delayed until about 4 am so there was very little to do.