Weird and unusual beauty products found in your bathroom

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Ladies almost without exception buy into beauty aids, cosmetics and skin care products including Filipinas.

Awhile back I noticed a bright red bar of soap sometimes left in our shower by my wife. Thinking nothing of it until ordering on Amazon what do I see.... Kojic acid SKIN WHITENING soap! What is it with that darn skin whitening crap? :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Shoes and face cream cosmetics.

Is my wife the only one? What odd products lurk in your wife's cosmetic collection? 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Is my wife the only one? What odd products lurk in your wife's cosmetic collection? 

:whistling: I doubt it but i will have a look later as she is in there up to something I hear :hystery:

• Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

What is it with that darn skin whitening crap?

The world over, white people are trying to get tan and tan people are trying to get white. :huh:

I told my wife if she ever bought that whitening soap, to keep it far away from me. I told her if I used it, I'd turn invisible. :hystery:

• Haha 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Ladies almost without exception buy into beauty aids, cosmetics and skin care products including Filipinas.

Well guys, I must confess......this FilipinO uses that skin whitening cream.  My butt is still dark but it feels so smooth....he, he.  

As far as available space on the bathroom sink area, most of my stuff are placed underneath to where I can find them.  Her stuff are all over the place.  Speaking of which.......you guys ever dig into your wife/GF purse?  It's like sticking your arm deep into a black hole, where you can never find what you're looking for.

One time I shook the bag to empty it.  Big mistake......ended up in the dog house again.  I will never touch her bag/purse for the rest of my life.  A word of advice -- use a powerful flashlight to go digging into the unknown.....he, he.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've spoken to Filipinas about the whitening crap, they're drinking the cool-aid on this front.  I've tried to explain the reality of the creams to them, but the marketing is winning over science and fact.  I get the Dianna Ross and Michael Jackson response from most "But it worked for them".  The reality is, a cream will not work and both Ross and Jackson probably used laser treatment to become whiter.  It's the only way they could have become fairer, there is no other, creams do not work.  As a result they also raised their susceptibility to skin cancer.  Staying out of the sun with a good sun block will work too.  As an example, SAO, who has been in Australia during our tropical "winter" in Cairns has noticed that she's become paler.  She's a girl that is actually proud of her dark skinned heritage from a family of working tobacco owner/farmers.  I used to call her my mocha Princess, I now call her my latte Queen.  She knows that "whitening" creams are only as good as long as they last on the skin:  Paint something white, it's going to be white.  It's pretty simple.  

Science vs marketing:  The never ending battle :)

Don't get me started on the entire "wellness" fiasco; claims made with no basis in science fueling an entire industry.  They actually invent problems to give you a cure....

Sorry, I put it up there with the entire anti-vaccination, climate change denial and flat earth Luddite arguments.  Yes, it's about as credible as the flat earthers. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Brett, very well said!:tiphat: So true.

Jake! Poking around in the wife's purse or handbag is a horrible idea what were you thinking! My wife is away I'm going for it will start a new topic in that regard. What's in da handbag?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The reality is, a cream will not work

Wiki disagrees with you and at the very least, many of the whitening creams contain a sunblock so the user will not get darker.  Not all creams are the same but some actually state the SPF factor on the bottle.

Here is an example:

spf.jpg

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Wiki disagrees with you and at the very least, many of the whitening creams contain a sunblock so the user will not get darker.  Not all creams are the same but some actually state the SPF factor on the bottle.

Here is an example:

spf.jpg

But does it, in and of itself, make them whiter after it washes off?  No.  Will it stop them getting darker from sun exposure? Yes if they reapply it every couple of hours.  The claim that they'll make someone fairer is the issue, not whether on not they're an effective sun block.  Walking around with an umbrella is as effective as some of the claims these snake oil salesmen make but will still not make you whiter other than reduce your exposure to sunburn therefore reducing your tan.  I come from the country with the highest skin cancer rates in the world, we're taught this stuff from day one at school, kids aren't allowed to play outside at school unless they have a broad brimmed hat on, one good sun burn can cause melanoma 20-30 years later.  The product you've shown is the same as white paint, yep it makes you whiter while it lasts, and by virtue of the fact it covers the skin the same as clothing does, but will it in and of itself, if you sat inside every day with no sun exposure make you fairer... No.  It reduces tanning i.e. sunburn.  And with all my occupational health and safety training one of the things I took away from that is there is no such thing as a healthy tan. It's all a con that due to some very slack truth in advertising laws in PI is being lapped up by the women there.  

Sorry for the rant, but I've had relatives and other people close to me die of melanoma.  It just annoys me that women in PI are lapping this crap up and possibly exposing themselves to harm due to a false sense of security.  

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Me: What's that orange soap in the bathroom?
Menchu: It's carrot soap.
Me: Carrot soap?
Menchu: Yes.
Me: My carrot isn't dirty.
Menchu: Shuddup!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2