Hotel Tax? Or Kano Tax?

bows00
Posted
Posted

I booked a week at the Marco Polo in Davao through Agoda and was quoted a price of $567.  Upon arrival, the front desk charged me $811 for the week.  When I asked her why the big difference, she told me it was due to taxes.  

Does this seem right?  A 30% tax hike is huge.  Maybe things are different here in Davao, but I will get a break down of the costs when I check out..  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, bows00 said:

Does this seem right?

Yes and no.  I have seen Agoda charge 25 or 30% taxes over and above what they quote.  I stopped using them because I thought they were gouging.  So if you are paying direct to the hotel some of the hotels charge those taxes while others include them in their quoted price.  No consistency.

So for my own enjoyment, I went to the Agoda site and checked for myself.  It took me 2 minutes to find out that the hotel will collect the following taxes (as per screenshot from Agoda)

Taxes.jpg

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have for a long time now booked direct as it always seems cheaper except when I went to Thailand in January,maybe there are no hotel taxes there.

bows00
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes and no.  I have seen Agoda charge 25 or 30% taxes over and above what they quote.

Ahhh.  Good information to know.  Again, it's live and learn for me.  I hope this information will be useful for other newbies on a tight budget. 

But I love it here in Davao (in the Marco Polo).  The view is to die for.  It overlooks the Roxas Night Market with an ocean view of Samal Island.  It's hard to complain.  I don't deserve to be having this much fun. 

It will be hard to go back home to Hawaii...  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I hope this information will be useful for other newbies on a tight budget. 

2 minutes ago, bows00 said:

But I love it here in Davao (in the Marco Polo)

So Marco Polo is now for people on tight budgets :tiphat:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jollygoodfellow said:

So Marco Polo is now for people on tight budgets :tiphat:

Don't know.  It all depends on your plans.  Those extra unexpected dollars could put you over your budget.  But nonetheless, the extra fees is good information for travelers... and this website.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure the hotel or Agoda are doing much wrong IF the website details the extras as per Dave's screenshot

bows00
Posted
Posted

As a consumer, the lesson here is you have to look into the details.  The fine print.  A 30% increase is huge.  AND JUST BE AWARE OF THIS.  No really, how many consumers are aware of this?  Am I the only one?    

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

No matter, I paid the hotel with no remorse.  I am totally satisfied with their service.  It is all worth it.  

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

It all depends on what you’re budget is. High end facilities are fun if kept with in your spending plans.

Having hidden costs could be a serious problem at least they told you on arrival. Bows could you have walked away or did they already have your card changed? I think the last.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1