Building prices

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Rooster said:

The photo looks like they used HardiFlex.

Excellent choice for a ceiling, many benefits over plywood. We had it installed in our house. If I had it to do over again I would not have not let the installers use the paper joint tape. Humidity causes it to separate from the HardiFlex board. There are some rooms where they had remove the falling paper tape and change to mesh tape which is available at Wilcon. I highly suggest using the mesh tape, then covered by HardiFlex Putty.  

Another option is beveling the HardiFlex board at the joints, then no need for joint tape or putty except at the screw locations.

True that material prices are rapidly rising but so is the price of everything else here. 

021232036-drywall-tape-thumb2.jpg

joint-tape-repair-ceiling-guide-to-finishing-inside-corners-at-the-home-depot.jpg

Does Hardiflex come in different thickness'?

I made the mistake of using marine plywood instead of Hardiflex on our front lanai, and it already has split and warped.  I will rip it off soon and replace it.

Our back lanai has hardiflex I believe, but it is getting very old and some of the joints are bad.  We also have a leak in the lanai roof back there, so I am thinking about ripping it all off while it is still raining so we can pinpoint the leak.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I made the mistake of using marine plywood instead of Hardiflex on our front lanai, and it already has split and warped.  I will rip it off soon and replace it.

Our back lanai has hardiflex I believe, but it is getting very old and some of the joints are bad.  We also have a leak in the lanai roof back there, so I am thinking about ripping it all off while it is still raining so we can pinpoint the leak.

They have a range of products for different purposes

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

If it is for outside why not use spandrel, as even when wet there is no damage. I changed ours around 10 years ago and it looks as good as new.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gas said:

f it is for outside why not use spandrel, as even when wet there is no damage. I changed ours around 10 years ago and it looks as good as new.

I searched and cannot find spandrel.  What is it and where can you get it?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

I think it is something like this.  One of our members has a wrap around lanai he did something like this.  I think there are different types.  Single wall, double wall with insulation, etc.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, intrepid said:

I searched and found this.  Says it is at Home Depot

https://www.filbuild.com/hbp/puyat_steel/36_apo_galfan_embossed_spandrel.html

• Like 1