Permanent Residence?

Bobby Wayne
Posted
Posted

Hi, i am brand new to the forum.

I am from the USA.

I plan to marry a Filipina in the Philipinnes and retire there. I've read about Visa extensions but not becoming a permanent resident after marriage.  The only reference I found said the process goes thru the courts. Can anyone give a run down on that process and related costs?

Also, i understand I am not allowed to own land. If my wifes family transferred land to her could I then do a longterm lease paying her monthly allowing me to mske any improvements i.e. apartments for rental income etc.??

Thanks

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Bobby.  You will need to go the tourist visa route until you are married.  Once married you can apply for a 13A visa (foreigner married to a Philippine citizen).  There are lots of posts written about both tourist visa and 13A visa.  Use the search box in the upper right to find the info.  This should save you time and help narrow the focus of any questions you might have.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Bobby Wayne said:

I plan to marry a Filipina in the Philipinnes and retire there. I've read about Visa extensions but not becoming a permanent resident after marriage.  The only reference I found said the process goes thru the courts. Can anyone give a run down on that process and related costs?

You will find topics on the 13a here, https://www.philippines-expats.com/forum/8-travel-and-visa-information-bi-questions-and-passport-topics/

7 hours ago, Bobby Wayne said:

Also, i understand I am not allowed to own land. If my wifes family transferred land to her could I then do a longterm lease paying her monthly allowing me to mske any improvements i.e. apartments for rental income etc.??

No , land can not be owned by a foreigner. If your wife's family transferred land to her it would be titled in her name and she is the owner and you can do what you want with the land but she will be the owner of the land. I believe you can not lease from your wife and not much point as no matter how much money you spend on building you can say the building is yours but at the end of the day it's hard to remove and if things go pear shaped then you lose.

Just to add you can own a condo because you do not own the land. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Silvester
Posted
Posted

Do you know anyone in the Philippines already? Be careful if you don't, a lot of opportunists here in the PH.  

On 8/26/2018 at 2:49 AM, Bobby Wayne said:

Hi, i am brand new to the forum.

I am from the USA.

I plan to marry a Filipina in the Philipinnes and retire there.

• Thanks 1