Elevator Manners

bows00
Posted
Posted

Living here in the Philippines requires a lot of patience and my tolerance has been pretty goods so far.  But there are a few things that get on my nerves - like common sense elevator etiquette.  Why can't residents understand that when the elevator door opens, you wait and let the people exit first.  In eagerness, it is common to see potential cross collisions when the door opens.  I find this common with Filipino, Korean and Chinese people here in the Philippines.   

It is common sense....right?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, bows00 said:

It is common sense....right?

So is moving away from the escalator when you get to the bottom, but people still just stand there.  I prefer your predicament, at least there is time to get past these people.  The escalator does not stop.

Continuing on your pet peeve.  My elevator "piss off" is when I am waiting for the elevator and then it arrives and 10 people push by me to get on first.  Then the dang thing is overloaded and I can't get on.  That has happened to me on the Ceres bus too.  People here have learned that its "Me first then you" or they never get anywhere.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

:laugh: I find Toe threading works :wink: with Elevators and Escalators knee pushing with Bags :whistling: People will learn eventually :smile: treating people of Ignorance with ignorance is the way Forward :wink:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Try hitting to door open button a few times just to piss them off. Maybe next time they will take a different car. 

• Haha 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

All the elevators I have seen here have operators.  The operator lets people off before others board.  I always thought it was they had operators. Modern elevators are simple enough to run.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

All the elevators I have seen here have operators.

Many do, but I have seen a lot that do not have operators.  Most hotels I have stayed at do not have elevator operators.  In addition, the elevator operators simply add to the weight so that one less person can travel.  They don't really do anything.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Modern elevators are simple enough to run.

:hystery: Not to some peoples liking apparently :smile:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

All the elevators I have seen here have operators.  The operator lets people off before others board.  I always thought it was they had operators. Modern elevators are simple enough to run.

Condo units dont have operators. I've seen the same thing in my building with 3 elevators, as soon as the door opens they are blocking the way out.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Rather than getting frustrated, have fun when using an elevator in the Philippines. My friends and I enter and face the back wall rather than the door. Joining passengers are confused. They either join us or are bewildered as to what's going on. 

• Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I got blocked on the LRT in Manila, as more people got on they stood between me and the door I'm head and shoulders above them and twice their weight. When we arrived at my stop I got off. And I think some of them did also:hystery:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2