Elevator Manners

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, bows00 said:

I find this common with Filipino, Korean and Chinese people here in the Philippines.   

I also found this common in Russia,I was told that if you are polite and wait you will be there all day.I think the attitude is I have to take it as nobody is going to give it to me.

bows00
Posted
Posted

My intentions were not to make this into a grip session, I am really enjoying my stay in Davao.  But I do believe it is a cultural thing.  On opposite end of the spectrum, I have witnesses hundreds of commuters, literally wall to wall people, in Japan's subway stations efficiently and orderly make their way through the station during rush hours.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, bows00 said:

there are a few things that get on my nerves

1 minute ago, bows00 said:

My intentions were not to make this into a grip session

1Ht9.gif

bows00
Posted
Posted

Well, maybe just a little...

2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

1Ht9.gif

Well, maybe just a little..."smirk".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

Well, maybe just a little..."smirk".  

You should come to one of our get-togethers in Dumaguete.  You would fit right in :56da64a8e0a60_13_4_101:

• Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Since we're off for two days in Sunny Singapore next week, I'm reminded of the appalled looks on the Singaporeans' faces whenever a Chinese tourist jumps the taxi queue or pushes ahead in other lines. For those who've never been, Singapore is the queue (line) capital of the world, I think. They line up for EVERYTHING.

They're so orderly there that they mark the MRT platforms to remind people where to stand and how to get along!

platform_markings.jpg

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2018 at 3:13 AM, bows00 said:

Living here in the Philippines requires a lot of patience and my tolerance has been pretty goods so far.  But there are a few things that get on my nerves - like common sense elevator etiquette.  Why can't residents understand that when the elevator door opens, you wait and let the people exit first.  In eagerness, it is common to see potential cross collisions when the door opens.  I find this common with Filipino, Korean and Chinese people here in the Philippines.   

It is common sense....right?

Chinese are the worst. They'll push you off the dock to get on the boat first.

111onr.jpg

Edited by Reboot
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

If you find Elevator etiquette lacking here, try Hong Kong -  they have taken it to a whole new level of rudeness!  Not just by blocking the way, but they will openly press the door close button whilst people are still entering/exiting or just a few steps from entering!   I still feel the heckles rising when I think back to some  of the behaviours I witnessed - people getting on buses with their umbrellas still up resulting in chaos being a particular favourite of mine.  Of course, all Hong Kongers will emphatically state that such actions are carried out always by Mainland Chinese and not by locals! 

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Well I have to take slight exception with JDDavao about Singapore, having lived there for 6 years. Yes they do queue impeccably for taxis but the queue that forms for the MRT can turn into a scrum once the train arrives (I used to take the MRT to/from work so had a lot of experience with rush hour). Also they like to try and get on before passengers can exit, which I had some fun with when I occasionally got fed up with it. most of them weren't big enough to knock me over if I obstructed their entry whilst making my exit :biggrin:. It's the same with the lifts there, they always want to get in before you get out.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Well I have to take slight exception with JDDavao about Singapore, having lived there for 6 years. Yes they do queue impeccably for taxis but the queue that forms for the MRT can turn into a scrum once the train arrives (I used to take the MRT to/from work so had a lot of experience with rush hour). Also they like to try and get on before passengers can exit, which I had some fun with when I occasionally got fed up with it. most of them weren't big enough to knock me over if I obstructed their entry whilst making my exit :biggrin:. It's the same with the lifts there, they always want to get in before you get out.

That's not my observation but I defer to your experience living there. I've only been there for a couple of days at a time.