2 Dead, 37 Hurt in Sultan Kudarat Blast

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just saw this on Rappler. Always something in that area. I have no idea what the solution is, but it doesn't seem like things are getting any better.

MANILA, Philippines (6th UPDATE) – An improvised explosive device (IED) explosion rocked Isulan town, the official provincial capital of Sultan Kudarat, as it celebrated its Hamungaya Festival on Tuesday, August 28.

The IED blast occurred at around 8:34 pm in Barangay Kalawag 3, in front of J and H Marketing along the national highway which passed through an area of the Isulan town proper where people flocked for ukay-ukay shopping, police said.

As of 11:55 pm Tuesday, one person was reported dead while 36 were wounded, police said.

A Wednesday morning, August 29, update said 2 died while 37 were hurt, according to Isulan police chief Superintendent Celestino Daniel.

One of the fatalities was identified as 52-year-old Lenie Ombrog. She was pronounced dead at the Holy Nazarene Hospital before midnight.

Among the 36 wounded, meanwhile, 9 were taken to the Holy Nazarene Clinic and 20 others to the Sultan Kudarat Provincial Hospital.

Daniel told Rappler in a phone interview their initial probe points to the bomb being placed beneath a motorcycle parked in the area before it exploded.

Daniel added they still have no groups to name as behind the bombing, but added they are already pursuing leads on "a few people (ilang tao)."

According to Sultan Kudarat police deputy chief for operations Police Senior Inspector Arnel Ligada, the town is currently observing the Hamungaya Festival, which celebrates "maaliwalas na pamumuhay" (prosperous living).

The festival began on Monday, August 27, and is only set to conclude on Thursday.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/210614-sultan-kudarat-explosion-august-28-2018

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Added link to source to prevent copyright issues
  • Sad 2

Doug B
Posted
Posted

Thanks for posting, it could have been worse as they found 2 more ied's and defused them...My girlfriend's family live near Isulan, I'm due to visit next year, but if this crap get's any worse....

Clermont
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Thanks for posting, it could have been worse as they found 2 more ieds and defused them...My girlfriend's family live near Isulan, I'm due to visit next year, but if this crap get's any worse....

Doug I see your located in France, It's a world wide craze, bombings, shootings, knifing and all the nasties that go with crime. Personally I think you are safer in the PI's than anywhere else in the world. Some will scoff at this remark but look at the western countries statistics on crimes. I look at crime statistics of other countries and compare them to PI statistics. What shows up on PI statistics that don't show up on western statistics are a lot of petty crime. Australia has one of the toughest gun laws in the world, but, nearly every morning there is shootings or knifing on the news. Don't be afraid to go to the PI's, bad news sells print, tourist glosiours no-one reads. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I can't find the link now but I read that there was a children's march that was being targeted by one of the defused IEDs  :(

• Sad 1

Doug B
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

Doug I see your located in France, It's a world wide craze, bombings, shootings, knifing and all the nasties that go with crime. Personally I think you are safer in the PI's than anywhere else in the world. Some will scoff at this remark but look at the western countries statistics on crimes. I look at crime statistics of other countries and compare them to PI statistics. What shows up on PI statistics that don't show up on western statistics are a lot of petty crime. Australia has one of the toughest gun laws in the world, but, nearly every morning there is shootings or knifing on the news. Don't be afraid to go to the PI's, bad news sells print, tourist glosiours no-one reads. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement mate, my gf said pretty much the same, we'll just see how things go.

• Like 2