How much clout does grandmother have

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Well guys i thought i had passed the familly grilling ,i got green lights from mama and papa and gfs griwn up kids , i was cautioned that i would have to pass two sisters aproval next visit

Anyhow ,her grandparents want to meet her and by all accounts , ask questions about me ,gf has declined their kind invitation as she told me ,that sge does not have the answers to those questions 

What questions are those ,i enquired?

Apparently they want to know when we are going to get married ??

I have not discussed that with GF yet ,is this the start of familly pressure to get wed ?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I had the same kind of pressure with my first gf.  The aged ones wanted to push her to get some kind of commitment from me.  They talked to her.  She talked to me.  I said I'll walk away before I commit so soon.  Gf chose to do it my way with a promise that the long-term intent was marriage IF everything worked out.  It didn't.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Well guys i thought i had passed the familly grilling ,i got green lights from mama and papa and gfs griwn up kids , i was cautioned that i would have to pass two sisters aproval next visit

Anyhow ,her grandparents want to meet her and by all accounts , ask questions about me ,gf has declined their kind invitation as she told me ,that sge does not have the answers to those questions 

What questions are those ,i enquired?

Apparently they want to know when we are going to get married ??

I have not discussed that with GF yet ,is this the start of familly pressure to get wed ?

Without a doubt.  :hystery:  I shouldn't laugh but you are about to have a master class in the Filipino psyche.  I've had slight insights into it but fortunately from day one I let them know my Western traditions may be different from theirs and even though I respect them I'll be sticking to the ones that have seen me right all these years.  My partner actually protects me from her family although touch wood they seam a decent bunch.

You may be fortunate and that if you set the rules from day one they might moan a bit but PESOnality usually rules the day.  I've had to lay the law down a couple of times and gone against their religious indoctrination and beliefs.  I find the more educated the family are the more accepting they are of differences so it may not all be bad.

• Like 1