USS Ronald Reagan

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, TimL said:

Wow. That’s crazy.. I had never heard or ghost cities there before.  Thanks for the education.

I had read about a ghost city before but I had no idea how bad it had gotten.  Here is an article about a methodology that tries to identify what is a true ghost city.  Interesting quote:  "China used more concrete between 2011 and 2013 than the U.S. used in the entire 20th century."  That is scary!

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/543121/data-mining-reveals-the-extent-of-chinas-ghost-cities/

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Which is one reason why China GDP numbers aren't always so illuminating. Those cities represent many billions in GDP, but serve no purpose. You could pay one group half a trillion to dig holes and another group half a trillion to fill them and BOOM your GDP just grew 1 trillion! But did that really make for a stronger economy?

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Wow.  I did not realize that.  Here is a video on it for those who are ignorant like me.

Information shared is knowledge gained. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 9/1/2018 at 12:38 AM, Snowy79 said:

A little sailing dingy from the USA just sailed past Puerto Galera this afternoon.  Judging by the firepower on deck I figure the Philippines has just found oil.

These aircraft carriers are amazing.  I had the privilege of taking a tour on this boat when it was docked in Pearl Harbor.  In our dreams, we were hoping to one day service one of these, but our island didn't have the infrastructure to accommodate one these floating cities.  It would have had a major impact on our economy if it was parked in our shipyard.  It's a floating city.  

• Like 4

TimL
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I had read about a ghost city before but I had no idea how bad it had gotten.  Here is an article about a methodology that tries to identify what is a true ghost city.  Interesting quote:  "China used more concrete between 2011 and 2013 than the U.S. used in the entire 20th century."  That is scary!

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/543121/data-mining-reveals-the-extent-of-chinas-ghost-cities/

Nice read. Thank you for that. That’s pretty crazy that they used that much cement in 2 years. Wow...

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Best teacher I had in school was Navy, served in WW2 and Korea as an aircraft mechanic on the carriers. They don't make men like that any more. Had to wear hearing aids probably because we didn't understand the dangers of jet engine noise when the first carrier jets came out. Served in both Pacific and Atlantic. 

I went to aircraft mechanic school when I was a late teen and my grandmother told me to go join the Navy. Never did though. Long story but I wish I had.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1