Is anyone hiring expats or know of opening?

Chrisfa
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That will be a huge difference.  It costs a little time and money but you will qualify for a 13a visa when married and can work in a call center without a work permit.  Married people on a 13a visa have the right to work at any jobs that are not "foreigner disqualified"

In addition, I know of couples (expat/filipina) who have moved to Thailand and both got jobs so it can be done.  Don't ask me how as I did not follow up on that but it may be something you want to look into.

That's great to know thank you, do you know if it's difficult to get a work permit? I've got some savings but I would like to make the wedding extra special for my lady lol

Also the Thailand info is cool, I'll have to look into that as well only roadblock might be if my son can come as well but definetly worth checking out

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Chrisfa said:

do you know if it's difficult to get a work permit?

With the right connections, it is easy.  But the right connections means finding a job where they want you bad enough to take care of that for you.  I stress call centers because more than a few have offered me jobs (in the not too distant past) and were willing to take care of that.  When they found out I was 60 ish the offers turned to "no thank yous".  At your age, it is hard to say.  They want mature manager types who speak English well.  You'll just have to try it and see.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Chrisfa said:

Hi guys sorry I'm brand new here so I'm not really sure what information is relevant. I'm 26 years old, I went to the Philippines 2 years ago on vacation and stumbled upon the love of my life. I went back about 9 months later to see my son being born and spent over a month living with them. I returned home thinking that it would be easy to bring them with me but it is presenting some big challenges.

They live in a small town in Bohol, they are willing to relocate. 

At this point I just really miss them and I can't think of leaving them when I visit next. I'm really open for anything as long as it means I can see her and my son often.

Side note that might be relevant we are not yet married, we are engaged and can marry quickly but we we're hoping to wait until we could be together

Perhaps you could get married then bring your family to Canada? We can clearly understand how you would miss your loved ones.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

It's possible but I think you'd struggle to get a job on that amount at your age, you'd have to be earning 70-80k pesos per month to bring home 50k after tax.

Have a look at online jobs, my girlfriend earns $6 per hour as a Real Estate virtual assistant for a US company, should be fairly easy to get something similar as a Canadian. Check out the freelancer sites: onlinejobs.ph, upwork etc.
They have an option to pay a flat rate of 8% tax on online earnings here too.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Perhaps you could get married then bring your family to Canada? We can clearly understand how you would miss your loved ones.

Plus there are child tax credits and minimum income tax credits that he would get in Canada that are not available to him if he and his family are not living in Canada.  That said, it is a year-long application process to get a wife and kids to Canada and it really does not matter if they are married or just living together.  It's still a year. Canada is slow with family immigration via the Manila embassy and that is the primary method to get them there.

• Like 2

Chrisfa
Posted
Posted

My original plan was to sponsor my fiancee on a visitor visa and bring them over however due to the economic situation in Canada it has been quite hard to get the visitor visa approved. I have thought about going and getting married however we would like our wedding to be special and not rushed just to bring her here. Adding to that as mentioned previously it takes a year or more to process the application for a spouse to enter Canada. I will definetly be pursuing that as the education and systems in Canada will be better for my boy but for the year processing I would definetly want to be with them.

My goal is to find employment so that I can be with them for about 2 years while every thing is processing. This would give my son about a year in Canada before he is ready to start his schooling.

Thanks for the input!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Chrisfa said:

My goal is to find employment so that I can be with them for about 2 years while every thing is processing.

Have you considered looking for a "work-at-home" job in Canada?  Here is a website to illustrate what I mean.  Those kinds of jobs don't pay much by Canadian standards but they are transportable, as in you can do them with a computer, Internet, and MagicJack from anywhere in the world.

If you can make even $50 a day Canadian doing something like that, it would give you ($50 x 30 = $1,500) 60K pesos per month income if you work at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1