Dogs and Motorcycles !

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Where we live tberes a constant problem with dogs roaming the streets ! These are not wild dogs but the dogs of neighbours and others living in the road. On Thursday night a motorbike hit a dog and the driver lost control him and his passenger ended up being thrown from the bike and both were sent flying along the road,the passenger bearing the worst as he rolled over and over ! The driver just picked up his bike and drove off back in the direction he came from leaving his passenger in the road ! However the passenger was soon picked up the local Ambulance ! My CCTV caught it all ! And then on Friday night it happened again this time a Motorbike just kept going it looked like the rider kicked the dog out of the way ! The dog however went flying ! And managed to very slowly crawl away ! As im writing this there are 3 dogs roaming the road ! The dog catcher here is a joke as word soon spreads he is on the way, i wont say how they know as for a foriegner to speak up it can cause problems ! 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

That is one reason i would not get a motorbike over in the Philippines, we did hire a bike for a trip to the Chocolate hills and that was my biggest fear, dogs running into the road or just walking along the side,

brmpipes
Posted
Posted

I ran a very healthy looking dog over on my xr200 once while I was there. I had just finished my renewal at the lto in calinog. My passenger was very impressed with my ability to stay upright, as was I lol.

RBM
Posted
Posted

This is a constant worry for motorcyclists and certainly a cause of a great many of accidents.

One thing I have learned when riding is try to pass them from their butt, normally they run where the head is pointing. For the ones whom run out its tough, we must be vigilant. 

What to do about it, tough, perhaps a talk with local baraungry capitan may help or the one in charge of local dog pound.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

normally they run where the head is pointing

Another case of "your mileage may differ" in the Philippines.  :7481:

The only dog I have hit and killed in the Philippines was with my pick up (yep I had one up until 4 years ago).  I did veer to go around behind his butt.  He made a "flash" 180 and ran under the wheel at the last second.  I kid you not!  I couldn't make this stuff up.

Turns out a friend was happy I killed him as the (probably) same dog had caused him to have a wreck on his Yamaha Mio just days before using that same tactic.

I have to say I agree with your logic as I have only had one dog do that 180 and so far the "trick" of heading behind their butt has worked all other times.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

the "trick" of heading behind their butt has worked all other times

Yes I see what you mean from this photo from your younger days. Nothings changed Eh 

butt.jpg

• Haha 5

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I see what you mean from this photo from your younger days. Nothings changed Eh 

butt.jpg

Priceless JGF, priceless!   Hahahaha

:hystery:

• Like 1

Capa
Posted
Posted
On 9/3/2018 at 10:40 AM, brmpipes said:

I ran a very healthy looking dog over on my xr200 once while I was there. I had just finished my renewal at the lto in calinog. My passenger was very impressed with my ability to stay upright, as was I lol.

That is impressive! To run over a dog and maintain complete control, I love that!

brmpipes
Posted
Posted

My passenger was terrified of my bike because it sits quite high compared to a scooter. I'm also a huge 5.5 feet .

• Haha 1