My GF laughs at my language

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

What's wrong with Filipinas? My girlfriend enjoys laughing at simple things I say for example I say we can do that in the arvo or give me a bickie with my coffee and then to top it off I say I will go to the servo and grab something.

Simple language but !!!

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

:89:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oldutot
Posted
Posted

My wife,

She always corrects my English, I say go park the car in Harvard yard:hystery:

:1927_:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I often get grins and slight chuckles when I use my (limited) Cebuano, asking results in ‘you have a cute accent honey’.

Upon asking I was told that it was because I speak Cebuano with an Australian accent :89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been told by some Europeans(mainland) and locals that the hardest accent they come across is the Australian accent.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

the hardest accent they come across is the Australian accent.

:smile: Certainly weird :56da632e94212_1(60):

• Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Use English that is free of slang and idiomatic expressions. You can also try C.K. Ogden basic English which is based on 500 vocabulary words. Also known as "Simple English" Voice of America used it to broadcast to non-English speaking countries including the former Soviet Union. 

A version of basic English was used years ago by the Dept. of Education as part of their elementary school language program.  You friends would probably understand you even with a heavy Australian accent if using familiar vocabulary words. 

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

You friends would probably understand you even with a heavy Australian accent if using familiar vocabulary words. 

Nah it would never work, pussy footing around trying to find the correct expleats to tell someone to P-ss off, nah the world would be better off learning proper Aussie lingo. :thumbsup:

(I do understand what you mean,)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, JJReyes said:

You friends would probably understand you even with a heavy Australian accent if using familiar vocabulary words. 

They do and I was only joking in my topic and I dont use those words but the subject came up one day when she was researching Aussie slang and asking me what we call this and that. Thanks cobber. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

pussy footing around trying to find the correct expleats to tell someone to P-ss off,

Now that is the language I understand even with an Aussie accent.

• Haha 2