Bottled gas up again

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Rooster said:

We finally stopped using those metal type tanks last year after another story in the news about them blowing up and the shrapnel killed an occupant of the house. 

We switched to https://www.ecgas.com.ph/

We have one in the house kitchen, one outside in the dirty kitchen. Initial setup was 5,200 pesos each for the deposit/valve/hose. Cost to swap for a refill is similar to the metal ones. 

Can't imagine how they could explode, must have had the tank on the counter top next to the burner. The gas in the tank is not gas but a liquid which if you draw off too quick turns to a jelly as it cools. i have seen the valves changed with very little lose of gas because it can't convert quick enough.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Can't imagine how they could explode

I would say most likely the hoses or connections caused anything.  My GF seems to let off more gas than me so I am hoping no damage :smile:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That's one thing I've never tried so will have to take your word that shit is not good

They do say that 50 million flys cant be wrong so maybe you should try it.

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:05 AM, Gary D said:

Can't imagine how they could explode, must have had the tank on the counter top next to the burner. The gas in the tank is not gas but a liquid which if you draw off too quick turns to a jelly as it cools. i have seen the valves changed with very little lose of gas because it can't convert quick enough.

Your location indicates you don't live here. If you did and followed the news here you would see it happens frequently here. Articles below concerning deaths and injuries in the PI from those metal tanks.

Google LPG Gas Explosion Philippines

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=bJKTW-2YIZyr0PEP2YOloAo&q=lpg+gas+explosion+philippines&btnK=Google+Search&oq=lpg+gas+explosion+philippines&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1780.27858..30684...0.0..0.438.9875.3-29j1....2..0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i131j0i10j0i22i30j33i22i29i30.oWhL-M8qth0

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2018 at 9:40 PM, Rooster said:

Initial setup was 5,200 pesos each for the deposit/valve/hose. Cost to swap for a refill is similar to the metal ones. 

I would be interested but I don't think I could talk my wife into 10,400 pesos to get started (we also have two locations).  What is covered in those startup costs?

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I would be interested but I don't think I could talk my wife into 10,400 pesos to get started (we also have two locations).  What is covered in those startup costs?

The EC Gas Location near me charged 5,200 per tank. Included the Hose and valve.

Then when you refill, they come to the house and you pay 880 pesos and they install a new tank.  If you no longer want their services return the tank and get the deposit back.

For me, it's worth it. Safety for me and my family is paramount compared to having those unpredictable metal tanks.

xxxxx.JPG

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I don't see where the extra safety is, looks like a gimic to me. I can't see how a plastic tank can be any safer than a steel tank.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

One of the issues with metal tanks is rust, a plastic tank can not rust.  A non rusty metal tank with a non leaking connection and hose is perfectly safe but some of the exchange tanks I have seen had obvious rust.

FWIW a leak detector safety cutoff in line with your regulator and hose attached to the tank (detects leaks) is a good safety measure and not too expensive.

Edited by GeoffH

Rooster
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

I don't see where the extra safety is, looks like a gimic to me. I can't see how a plastic tank can be any safer than a steel tank.

Watch the 2nd video. Imagine a firefighter or neighbor entering a home (where they are using a steel LPG tank) to save a life or to put out a fire then decide if they are a gimmick.  

Google Steel propane tanks versus fiberglass propane tanks. There are many articles and videos from countries all over the planet showing Fiberglass tanks are safer than steel tanks. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Rooster said:

Watch the 2nd video.

I have reason to believe the 2nd video was staged for effect.  I watched a house burn down in rural Canada where all we had was a volunteer fire department and they could do nothing but contain the blaze.  The metal propane tank was outside the house and against the wall.  It burned in a similar fashion to the first tank in the video.  This happened 40 years ago, there is no reason to believe that the tanks they make today are worse than the ones they made 40 years ago.  Thus I believe it to be a promotional video to sell the "new-improved" product.  Just my opinion from watching one burn the way it was designed.