coming for 29 days in February. Gameplan?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My suggestion is to stay a few weeks in places like the IT park Cebu where the women are somewhat educated, have to speak good English and an abundance of them. :11:

Words of experience.  😉

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2018 at 11:10 AM, usa32 said:

I am flying into manilla in February, staying at the city of the dreams for a few nights to get sleep, and get my bearings.

It's a good plan to start.  I always stay at the Hyatt City of Dreams for a couple of days to recoup and to avoid the traffic (unless I fly in on a Sunday, with no traffic).  The City of Dreams is located only 8 minutes from the airport - just make sure you have an extra 35 peso on you to take the Sky Way to avoid the traffic.  You will have to provide this to the taxi driver to get through the toll.  

bows00
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, usa32 said:

I'd like to see a few beautiful places, but honestly, I am going to see if it is someplace, I want to live, and expected cost. And to meet women, ideally for LTR/marriage, not looking for ladies of the night.

If you seek beautiful beaches, you will have to spend time away from the city.  And since this is your first time, you may consider taking some baby steps and start off in the tourist areas, like Boracay, Palawan...   But a bit of warning, you will encounter many foreigners in these areas and you may not get the full blown cultural experience.  

Personally, I have been exploring the country for quite some time now (approximately 4 months this year) and 29 days would not be enough time to establish a solid relationship.  At best, it would only get your foot in the door for your next trip. 

And the best advice I got was NOT to make any big decisions (e.g., marriage, business, real estate purchase, etc.) until I spend at least a year and experienced how life works there.  

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some good advice about taking it slowly, slowly. Areas with a high amount of foreigners tend to bring out the higher prices and worst of a local's personalities. 

The up side is there tends to be better amenities but not always.  Wifi can be great in tourist areas in the quiet season and terrible in peak season due to users.  Same with brown outs and water supply

I'd recommend a happy medium.  Somewhere with beauty and things to do as you'll be spending most of your time there if you retire, yet near enough to a place with a decent sized local population where in my opinion only you'll meet a more genuine potential partner. Trust me, Filipino women who live around foreigners expect you to be rich and for them to be made for life if they hook you.  Love might just be an after thought for them. 

I live in Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro.  A decent tourist area but everyone has their opinion of foreigners.  Plenty of girls but sadly most prey on foreigners. Lots of white nose tax also.  You take a van or Jeepney to Calapan the nearest city just over an hour away and it's like a different country.  The girls are shy and giggly.  No one overcharges you and they seem genuinely happy to see you.  

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

Words of experience.  😉

You could say that :smile:

• Hmm thinking 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys.

For laptops/cell phones. Do you need to buy any time of power adapter or anything for the different electrical over there?

How much in cash do you recommend bringing for 29 days?

I am assuming you get a new sim card at the airport?

Probably will have more questions, as time gets closer. Thanks for all the advice.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The electricity in the Philippines is nominally 220 volt 60 Hz so devices designed for 220-240 volt will work ok.

The plugs and sockets are mostly type A (2 vertical prongs) or type B (2 vertical prongs plus a third earth prong in the middle below).  

You can buy a SIM card at Manila airport and Cebu airport (SMART or Globe), which works better is location dependant.

How much... umm that’s a hard one.  Hotel rooms can cost from about 1000 peso up to maybe 10000 a night for rooms and meals from 50 peso to a few thousand.  

As someone new to the Philippines you probably don’t want to budget under 5000 a day IMHO, don’t forget travel medical insurance before you come.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

As someone new to the Philippines you probably don’t want to budget under 5000 a day IMHO, don’t forget travel medical insurance before you come.

Geoff is right, about 5 k a day for a newbie, but watch your spending, easy to over budget if you have a lady that thinks your an ATM. Keep your wits about you and after a week you'll get the lay of the land when it comes to spending. Remember you're going over there to enjoy so don't be stingy, be like this bloke, :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

usa32
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, usa32 said:

Thanks guys.

For laptops/cell phones. Do you need to buy any time of power adapter or anything for the different electrical over there?

I am assuming you get a new sim card at the airport?

Probably will have more questions, as time gets closer. Thanks for all the advice.

Thank you.  So you are saying the normal power adapter and cell phone charger, will work in most places there, without anything additional?  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, usa32 said:

Best to get some peso before coming and then just use the ATM when you need cash. Let your bank know you will be traveling to prevent them blocking your card.

14 minutes ago, usa32 said:

Thank you.  So you are saying the normal power adapter and cell phone charger, will work in most places there, without anything additional?  

You need a travel adaptor like this which can be bought anywhere.

travel adptor.jpg