coming for 29 days in February. Gameplan?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Agreed.  The laptops will plug in and charge in all the countries I have been to.  Sometimes I need an adapter to fit the plug hole but that's all.

As an alternative to a socket type wall adaptor (if you're going to be in a country long term) most laptop adaptors have a separate 'pig tail' power lead which plugs into the transformer box (normally a 2 or 3 pin socket in the side of that box).  You can buy those pig tail leads with different types of plugs on the end.

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Trying to keep this going.  How do you handle money carrying around town? money belt?  Just a wallet, in a pocket that zips? What about backpacks, are there any good backpacks out there, where the pockets are harder to open, for thief's?

Thanks for the help

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, usa32 said:

How do you handle money carrying around town?

Each person is different but the more of a bulge in your pocket the more of a target you are.  When I had to carry a lot of cash I used "overkill" to guard against theft.  I had one zip wallet with the bulk of my cash that I had on a string tied around my waist and hanging under my trousers next to my "package".  There is a risk that security will pat you down and have you remove it but that happens only rarely.  The second wallet was in one front pocket and held about 10K pesos that I could afford to hand over if held up and the other front pocket had a couple of thousand in small bills so I usually never had to take my wallet out of my pocket for prying eyes to look at.

Fortunately, I am poor enough now that I don't have to worry about what to do with all my money.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave, what happened to your money? blew it on women and booze, and the rest you wasted:)

Obviously the goal is really never to have too much money on you anyways.

Are people still taking preventive measures at the airport, regarding the bullet scam?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, usa32 said:

Trying to keep this going.  How do you handle money carrying around town? money belt?  Just a wallet, in a pocket that zips? What about backpacks, are there any good backpacks out there, where the pockets are harder to open, for thief's?

Thanks for the help

Best strategy is to learn good security practices and use them every day so they become second nature. Then there may be situations which require greater security but those are best avoided if possible.

Don't wear or show expensive clothes, jewelry or electronic devices.

Only take with you when you go out the cash and cards you need. Leave one or more cards and your extra cash where you are staying if they have a hotel or room safe you trust. This way if you do get robbed you still have cash/cards for the emergency.

Carry a throw away wallet. Make it look like a real wallet with pictures, expired credit cards and some cash. This is what you can give to a criminal without losing much.

Money belt is handy for when you are traveling. I put my folding money and a credit card in a money clip. That is small enough that it isn't noticeable and put that in a front zippered pocket. You can use your throw away wallet for making small routine payments and only take out the money clip and card when you make larger purchases.

There are special backpacks designed for secure travel. Just don't set it down where someone can grab it.

Word of caution, I have been pick pocketed twice. Once was a pack of smokes out of the hand pocket of a hoodie. The other was a smart phone, again out of the hand pocket of a hoodie. I hope by now I have learned my lesson about putting thinks in the hand pocket of a hoodie!!

Enjoy your vacation. You are asking good questions.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, usa32 said:

How do you handle money carrying around town? money belt?

Personally I think a money belt is the last thing I would ever do. To me its like saying here is the vault so you dont have to search for it. It sticks out like dogs balls and makes you look like a newbie tourist so who ever came up with that invention is, never mind. 

Myself, I have got used to my wallet in my front pocket which I would not do back home. If I was to go somewhere like Mango avenue Cebu I would put enough emergency cash in my shoes if I was wearing covered shoes just incase so at least you have a way to get home. Otherwise inside a hidden type pocket. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Personally I think a money belt is the last thing I would ever do. To me its like saying here is the vault so you dont have to search for it. It sticks out like dogs balls and makes you look like a newbie tourist so who ever came up with that invention is, never mind. 

Perhaps you are thinking of a fanny pack that is worn around your waist on the outside. Yeah, I agree, that would make you a target. I am referring to a money belt/pouch worn inside your clothes. The one I have worn is not noticeable unless you were to have a very thick wad of bills.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Perhaps you are thinking of a fanny pack that is worn around your waist on the outside. Yeah, I agree, that would make you a target. I am referring to a money belt/pouch worn inside your clothes. The one I have worn is not noticeable unless you were to have a very thick wad of bills.

Yes you are correct. I often see guys here in the IT park wearing the fanny pack and it sticks out like an opportunity. Newbie, money, easy.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I also put my wallet in my front pocket and I don't carry more than 10,000 in it generally and I leave cards at home unless I expect to be using them.  I've tried the second wallet thing but carrying 2 wallets was annoying.

If I'm going to be carrying a larger amount (like when we bought a new TV a little while ago) then I use a man bag, yes ... you can go ahead and laugh now :)

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 9/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont think the plugs allow for that. The way I see it is that laptops are designed to be portable and taken world wide by travelers or business people etc so should work anywhere.

I think you're right - It would be difficult to buy a lead that both fits the laptop jack and outlet.  I was more talking about the principle rather than the practical.  The transformer  pack supplied is indeed for the purpose of adapting voltage in different regions.  

When I was moving here I checked my appliances and about 2/3rds had either automatic voltage switching technology, or a switch system.  It seemed that only the "heavy'  voltage things like ovens/microwaves/washing machines were unable to do so, which makes sense.