Opening a small business?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gas said:

I have several foreigner friends who run small businesses that would disagree with that statement. Over the years i have found that the people who started with very little tended to be more successful.

Good for them.  I am pleased that your experience (and that of your friends) is different than mine.  I cannot say I do not know any foreigner friends who started with little and were a little bit successful, but I can say that every single one of them has a horror story attached to it (usually having to do with relationship problems).

• Like 1

Chrisfa
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Rice mill looks decent to me. You can buy a decent one for $6k from China that processes 1,000 kg per hour, most charge around 2 pesos per kilo so that's 2,000 pesos per hour. Uses about 25 kwh of electric so around 300 pesos.
Average hectare of rice produces around 5,000 kilos per year so you'd only need to be milling around 100 hectares of rice to make decent money.
There's about 4 million hectares of rice growing in the Philippines. 
The rice mill would hold it's value if it doesn't go well anyway, or you'd maybe make a profit seeing as you'd be getting it cheap from China.

That sounds like a great idea, I'm going to be looking into this one. I've already found a lot of machines that seem like a good fit

Thanks!

Chrisfa
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gas said:

If you do decide to get married and change your immigration status there are plenty of opportunities in the Philippines IF you are both willing to put in the time and effort. 

We started of with very little capital in the 90's and now have 5 small businesses which provide us with a very good income.  The early years were not easy, however it is possible and worth a try if you wish to live in the Philippines full time. Personally i think your young age will work to your advantage, as younger people tend to be more flexible and adapt quicker.

Over the years i have heard and read foreigners say that it is best to think outside the box when planning to open a business here, but from my experience  i would say the complete opposite. If you live in a town that is famous for making native baskets why open a business that makes cookies, when you already have a workforce that are skilled in making baskets. If you girlfriend is from Bohol i would probably start by  looking at the tourist industry to make a living.

Thanks for the encouragement, would you have any suggestions of tourist based businesses that you would suggest?

Gas
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Good for them.  I am pleased that your experience (and that of your friends) is different than mine.  I cannot say I do not know any foreigner friends who started with little and were a little bit successful, but I can say that every single one of them has a horror story attached to it (usually having to do with relationship problems).

Did i say that there were no horror stories?

Just now i know a foreigner who just spent 10 million building a chicken farm and he has just had his right of way to the farm blocked. Calling his neighbour a uneducated dumb ass Filipino with no money has really helped his cause. The owner of the land said to me that if it was my farm he would have giving me access, however this guy has been playing the big shot since his arrival in the Philippines 3 years ago. 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gas said:

however this guy has been playing the big shot since his arrival in the Philippines 3 years ago. 

Unfortunately! this has been the problem with many to date. Due Diligence comes into play so often when not taken seriously. Land here, is the Biggest motive for Murder so you gotta get it right from the Start. They know we have the Cash and are happy to help but when bitten, they can turn as easy as anything.

Farming is one of those areas that is a Heritage thing to the local and they don't like it messed with

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Chrisfa said:

Thanks for the encouragement, would you have any suggestions of tourist based businesses that you would suggest?

My first suggestion would be to establish a base here in the country before trying to open a business. Sending money to someone and expecting them to have the business up and running before you arrive will more than likely end in failure. I dont live in Bohol, so i would be only guessing what may or may not work.  One thing that has become very popular in my area over the past 3 years is bicycle riding. Maybe a bike shop with bikes for hire? Can you cook? Maybe a small restaurant.

Running a business here is a whole new ball game. I have seen guys with a wealth of experience running a business abroad fall flat on their face because they tried to run it their way and not the Philippine way. It can be done, however you need  adjust your way of thinking which in my opinion is easier when you are younger.

You may succeed you may not, but its better to fail than not try at all!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gas said:

One thing that has become very popular in my area over the past 3 years is bicycle riding. Maybe a bike shop with bikes for hire?

:thumbsup:

Gas
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Farming is one of those areas that is a Heritage thing to the local and they don't like it messed with

Yep, technology is seen as a threat to their jobs. Their is a international rice research institute not far from me and even though they provide free training to farmers, they still go back to using their old cultivation techniques. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Gas said:

Calling his neighbour a uneducated dumb ass Filipino with no money has really helped his cause.

If he continues disrespecting his neighbor in this fashion a lack of right of way will be the least of his problems.

• Hmm thinking 1