Baguio

marine6357
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gary D said:

If she is from Mindanao her Tagalog might not be too good

Not to worry she is fluent in all 3 languages English Tagalog and Bisaya(Cebuana). Pretty smart cookie from what I have seen so far. She is also pretty worldly 37 years old and a nurse. So I don't think we will get taken for.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I lived in Baguio for 2 years and have answered this question many times here. Just search this forum for "Baguio". You don't need aircon in Baguio, it has a very moderate climate being at 5000 feet elevation. As someone else suggested, Camp John Hay is very nice and has some nice hotels, some restaurants and shopping. No jeepney's are allowed there. Nice relaxing spot in the pine forests of Baguio. A nice half day trip is to visit the Ben Cab Museum.

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Rooster said:

I'm considered a low lander because I live near the beach 55km from Baguio for 35 years now. Since you are not a drinker and wish to likely romanticize her I suggest The Manor at Camp John Hay. Camp John Hay used to be the R&R Location for US Military. Take her for lunch at the John Hay Golf Club. Mini Golf, many other fine restaurants & R&R activities on John Hay. Visit Mines View Park, Burnham Park. Taxis are inexpensive & everywhere. You will not need an Air Con Room. Many live bands playing in a relaxing atmosphere nearby. If you were a drinker and a girly bar hopper I could provide many suggestions :smile:   

You nailed it.......i would only add the public market at the foot of Sessions Road, SM mall, and the strawberry fields in La Trinidad.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, earthdome said:

I lived in Baguio for 2 years and have answered this question many times here. Just search this forum for "Baguio".

That's the beauty of a forum.  We get to answer the same questions many times.  But often the answers change so people are always searching for updated info.  For example, a search may show there are flights into Baguio, even though (as far as I know) that service was canceled 10 years ago.  How about today?  Any flights into Baguio now?  Or anticipated flights?  That would make it a much more desirable place to visit (for me).

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 9/8/2018 at 12:43 AM, Gary D said:

We were at a market in Olongapo and the wife wanted some dried fish, evil stuff, anyway we aproached a couple of women  venders sitting with their basket of fish. The two venders were talking back and forward in visayan about us as the business was done, half way through the wife had switched from tagalog to visayan and it took a moment for them to catch on.

Your mentioning about your wife switching from tagalog to visayan reminded me of someone. We have a friend who is a professor of Linguistic at the University of Hawaii and fluent in several Philippine languages.  Mike is also 6' 3", white haired and Caucasian. He travels to Manila to lecture on Philippine languages. To keep up with the latest idiomatic expressions and language usage, he prefers riding jeepneys and buses to listen while everyone thinks he does not understand the conversation.

A typical example is riding a bus and listening to other nearby passengers complaining how the big "puti" or white guy is occupying so much space.  Before his stop, he would deliver an eloquent apology for occupying too much space in the vernacular. The guy really enjoyed the stunned silence that followed.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
marine6357
Posted
Posted

With the typhoon that just hit it has caused me to change plans and now will be arriving in Cebu on Friday the 21st. Which is better to use Yellow or white taxi from the airport to the hotel on Osmeña Boulevard, Cebu City.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If your flight is late at night my wife says use the airport cabs.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, marine6357 said:

With the typhoon that just hit it has caused me to change plans and now will be arriving in Cebu on Friday the 21st. Which is better to use Yellow or white taxi from the airport to the hotel on Osmeña Boulevard, Cebu City.

Just use white and insist on meter. You will be approached with prices for so called private cars and up to you what you choose.  Where were you originally landing since typhoon has gone? 

marine6357
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Where were you originally landing since typhoon has gone? 

Was originally Manila changed to Cebu flying EVA thanks for the heads up on taxi

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, marine6357 said:

Which is better to use Yellow or white taxi from the airport to the hotel on Osmeña Boulevard, Cebu City.

I have used both and found that the line up for each takes the same length of time.  The line up for the Yellow taxi is shorter but it moves slower.  The yellow taxi costs double.  Even the white taxis have tried to get me to pay a flat rate that is double what the meter will read.  After waiting in line for an hour that sucks.  Sometimes there are touts trying to grab you as you come out the door and charge triple the going rate for a private car.  If you take one it will avoid an hour wait (at certain times of the day) so what is your time worth to you.  Sometimes I see people going directly to a grab taxi but I do not know how that works at the airport, I have not tried it.