Car hire

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Getting about in the Philippines is great if its local but what about going further a field, yes there are buses that go further but i would like to travel when and to where i would like to go and come back when i want too, so car hire may be best, but are there companies about , day rates or week rates and what is the costing for this, our base would be Marikina so any ideas .

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Don't hire a car unless it includes a driver.  The cheap way is to negotiate with a taxi driver an hourly rate. I try to find out their boundary (how much they pay their taxi owner for a 12 hours shift) fee. You can negotiate a fee using this information.

• Like 4

Rooster
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, stevewool said:

Getting about in the Philippines is great if its local but what about going further a field, yes there are buses that go further but i would like to travel when and to where i would like to go and come back when i want too, so car hire may be best, but are there companies about , day rates or week rates and what is the costing for this, our base would be Marikina so any ideas .

I arrived at NAIA terminal 3, two days ago. I asked several of the transport companies for a quote to my destination and ASSI was the lowest and I was 1st in line. Large white Vans, employees were very courteous. They are based next to UBER which had a que of 10 or so people waiting for their ride. 

ASSI said they do private hires. Manila phone numbers on the receipt  879-5032 and 879-5036

https://www.facebook.com/assitransportph/

• Like 2

marine6357
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

He's based in Luzon (Pampanga) but happy to travel anywhere with you.

Brett could you pm the info might be of use to me on my trip Baguio. Thanks

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)

When driving along the Skyway there is a huge billboard advertising car hire for 999php per day. I think the picture is a of a Mitsubishi Mirage or Toyota Wigo which is probably a tad small for you. Some of the major companies have outlets at the airport, but they probably charge a arm and a leg. I would look at some of the smaller companies away from the airport.

You can always use me again and work for your keep!

Found it online. Its a Wigo and pretty small.

https://www.reservecarrentals.com.ph/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5s3cBRCAARIsAB8ZjU2CQbimMnBkIurxmxXCf1Qi5IuLYwoTB9unWBzgyP3X0hfq8YyCqfMaAnqZEALw_wcB

Edited by Gas
add on
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Gas said:

Have you ever sat in a Wigo?  You might be surprised how much room is inside, for running around a city (with an auto) they're just about perfect, you can park anywhere and they don't use a lot of gas.  I bought SWMBO a second hand 2016 auto G with low kms for about half the price of a new one about a month ago and it's lots easier than trying to park the Innova (or even the families Avanza) when you're heading into a mall car park.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Have you ever sat in a Wigo?  You might be surprised how much room is inside

Another case of YMMV.  Yes, I have sat in a Wigo.  I dearly wanted to buy one.  At 6'2" I could not move in the driver's seat.  With seat fully reclined I could just fit, but on long trips it would have been extremely uncomfortable.  I am guessing you are under 6' tall?

Edit to add a bit:  It could be that the current model year has addressed that problem.  I sat in one a couple of years back.  I also tried a Hyundai Eon which is about the same size car but has more space for the driver.  I don't know how they did that.  I almost bought one but got talked out of it (cannot remember the exact reason but something to do with bad reviews and so many used ones for sale that they must have problems).

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Another case of YMMV.  Yes, I have sat in a Wigo.  I dearly wanted to buy one.  At 6'2" I could not move in the driver's seat.  With seat fully reclined I could just fit, but on long trips it would have been extremely uncomfortable.  I am guessing you are under 6' tall?

Yes, I'm under 6' tall (albeit err... wide), I've got a few inches of head room and don't need the seat all the way back.

I agree, if you're much over average height it might not be the best choice.

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Have you ever sat in a Wigo?  You might be surprised how much room is inside, for running around a city (with an auto) they're just about perfect, you can park anywhere and they don't use a lot of gas.  I bought SWMBO a second hand 2016 auto G with low kms for about half the price of a new one about a month ago and it's lots easier than trying to park the Innova (or even the families Avanza) when you're heading into a mall car park.

Yes, i have sat in a Wigo and they are nice little cars, however Steve is well built bloke and i think it would be too small for him.

• Like 3