No water again !

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Being used to having water on tap it gets annoying when every weekend for weeks now every saturday the water is turned off, and this weekend its both saturday and sunday ! On the water company website their excuse HIGH WATER TURBILITY FROM OUR SOURCE !  And it brags about having built 2 new resevoirs in the area to boost reliablility !

Looks like we are going to buy a water tank and electric pump !

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, expatuk2014 said:

Looks like we are going to buy a water tank

I feel your pain.  Happens all over.  The only ones with no complaints are those with their own personal water supply.  I thought I was good to go in my subdivision as there is a subdivision water tank here.  But they did not calculate for the amount of usage at peak times and the did not calculate for the inexcusable, but perpetual, leaks in all the water lines.  So at night and when everyone is at work during the week I have great water, but when they all want to wash their laundry and cars on the weekend then I've got no pressure.

I will have to do what you are going to do, which is buy a tank.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

An inexpensive solution is to have two - 50 gallon drums located in your backyard. This is for flushing toilets and washing dishes. Drinking water should be filtered or delivered by a service company in 5-gallon bottles. A separate water tank located in an elevated platform can get expensive, but maybe a justifiable expense.   If the platform is sufficiently high, you don't need a water pump for pressure. A good idea to keep the tank high if frequent electric outage are also a problem in your area. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Just a suggestion, don’t skimp on the size of the tank. The one we have sits nicely in an out of sight corner on a low platform but it always isn’t large enough and now we’re thinking about either a second tank or replacing the existing tank.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Just a suggestion, don’t skimp on the size of the tank. The one we have sits nicely in an out of sight corner on a low platform but it always isn’t large enough and now we’re thinking about either a second tank or replacing the existing tank.

What size tank are you using now?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

What size tank are you thinking to replace with?  How many people in your household?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what size tank it is to be honest (see picture for an idea of size), it's been there since the house was built.

There are 4 of us living in the house full time (me and SWMBO on the 1st floor and her mama and papa on the ground floor) but sometimes the brother and his wife or sister and her boyfriend stay over and then we have 6 (which is when we have shortages).

The house has 4 bedrooms but the tank only seems to hold enough for about 4 people to shower.

Oh and excuse the mess, it's in a back corner out of the way and junk tends to get put there :)

tank.jpg

Edited by GeoffH

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

If the platform is sufficiently high, you don't need a water pump for pressure

But you may need a pump to get water up to the tank if there is not sufficient pressure from the source.  Not uncommon if the user requirements have outgrown the water supply infrastructure.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Mike J said:

But you may need a pump to get water up to the tank if there is not sufficient pressure from the source.  Not uncommon if the user requirements have outgrown the water supply infrastructure.

We have to use a pump to get water up to the 2nd floor (the 3rd floor has no taps so not an issue).  There is enough pressure (when the water is working) for taps on the ground floor to work but not the 2nd floor.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, intrepid said:

What size tank are you thinking to replace with?  How many people in your household?

I used a water tank in Canada for many years and found that a family of 4 used 100 gallons of water per day on average, without too much skimping and not including washing the car or watering the lawn.  A 1500 gallon tank required the water truck to come by every 2 weeks.

I don't do that here, but it gives you an idea on what size tank you will need.  How many days water do you want it to hold?

• Like 1