No water again !

Capa
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not exactly true. What happens if the main out in the street bursts? They have to shut it off to fix it dont they? 

Of course, but the topic the OP brought up was water outage due to undercapacity!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Capa said:

Of course, but the topic the OP brought up was water outage due to undercapacity!

Yes but generally they dont build condos other than cities with some infrastructure. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Capa said:

Live in a condo. You cannot have water shut-offs because you would affect thousands of people at a time!

A water shut-off in a subdivision also affects thousands of people at a time, but they still do it

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I am lucky in that I have water, including drinking, from my own well. My problems arise during brownouts, we invariably run out because the tank is not to capacity, 84 gallons, when power goes off. When it's a scheduled power out we make sure the tank is full but many are unscheduled. I will be replacing with a much larger plastic tank on a 10' tower in the next couple of months. This will also give me better pressure although it is fairly good now. I've been quoted P20000 for that job inc all materials and labour, which I find reasonable.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I am lucky in that I have water, including drinking, from my own well. My problems arise during brownouts, we invariably run out because the tank is not to capacity, 84 gallons, when power goes off. When it's a scheduled power out we make sure the tank is full but many are unscheduled. I will be replacing with a much larger plastic tank on a 10' tower in the next couple of months. This will also give me better pressure although it is fairly good now. I've been quoted P20000 for that job inc all materials and labour, which I find reasonable.

Yes that sounds like a good price.  Does that include the tank also or just the tower?  What size tank you installing?

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

This is my mountain springreceived_1888175178157825.jpegreceived_1802112219873916.jpeg

received_1870710566342217.jpeg

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here is a "no water again" story that may make you smile.

My subdivision has its own water storage tank and it was great when all the houses were mainly empty.  But now there are a lot of residents and leaks such that the subdivision cannot keep up with the demand for water.  Some residents have put storage tanks on their own roofs to fill at night and guarantee that they will have water.  I was planning on doing the same.

So the subdivision water management employee came up with the brilliant plan to turn the water off between 1 am and 4 am and between 1 pm and 4 pm to defeat that option.  Their agenda is:  They need time fill the subdivision water tank so they have enough water for everyone and we residents need to conserve water.  BS.  Most who have their own storage tanks will use a pump to fill them quickly during the day when the demand for water is high.  Smart people are not going to go without water.  Dumb people will come up with schemes that do not work.  Average working folk who may be renting a house will get caught in the middle. They will eventually move out and there will be enough water for those who are left.  I think. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I really dont get why all the rainwater run off from the roofs is not harvested. My working life at 15/16 started off making portable concrete tanks which were delivered to farm houses and many places. Now days they use fiberglass but same principle is the guttering is connected to a strainer on the roof of the tank and even a light shower causes water to top the tank up. 

Similar to these.  Then the other thing is why dont they use windmills on bores and springs to pump water? 

tanks.jpg 7428125_orig.png

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 9/12/2018 at 12:34 PM, virginprune said:

Have you thought of putting a flow bouncy in the tank, when the tank gets down to a certain level it switches the pump on to top it back up. :thumbsup:

virginprune
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Have you thought of putting a flow bouncy in the tank, when the tank gets down to a certain level it switches the pump on to top it back up. :thumbsup:

It already is and fills automatically, during a brownout surprisingly the electric pump doesn't work!

• Like 1