Possible Super Typhoon Mangkhut On The Way!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

Going thru a typhoon was a new experience.  It is more fun in the Philippines.

Oh yes, earthquakes too.  Haven't had a big one lately so we must be due :7481:  Nice to hear that you and yours are safe.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

Going thru a typhoon was a new experience.

:sad: Is it all over? barrel.jpg :SugarwareZ-004:

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Glad to hear you are safe!  I saw a picture of a Toyota dealership all smashed up and I think that was in your area.

Thanks, yes the Toyota deslership is maybe 4.5 K away.  

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Oh yes, earthquakes too.  Haven't had a big one lately so we must be due :7481:  Nice to hear that you and yours are safe.

Thanks.

oldutot
Posted
Posted
On 9/12/2018 at 9:17 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not too late to take a vacation to Cebu and buy me a ton of beer :7500:

ROFLMAO

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

We were fortunate here in Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija.  The PDRRMO that I've volunteered with is currently assisting with recovery operations from landslides (lahars) in Itogon, Benguet.  I've been getting updates from the PDRRMO Nueva Ecija manager and NDRRMC offices.  I've sent emails out to my former colleagues asking if they know of any surplus Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) equipment that could be donated and train the rescue staff.  I previously volunteered in California for SAR with local law enforcement, Civil Air Patrol and the California OES.  I also previously worked with equipment that was used for urban rescue operations.  I'm hoping that I can prepare them for the next earthquake or lahar where time is critical in rescue ops.

My wife's families homes in Talavera were spared the worst of flooding along the Talavera River.  Flood waters literally were only one street away from her family home we've been renovating.  Down the Pampanga River valley, many roads are still impassable and areas flooded near Tarlac.

My prayers are with the rescue workers who still are holding out hope they can recover some victims alive in Benguet.  However, it's really a recovery ops at this point.  It can take a toll on rescue workers, but at least they could give some closure to the families who have missing loved ones.

BTW - The US Navy's Joint Typhoon Warning Center has reported another storm forming in same area that Super Typhoon Mangkhut (Ompong) did.  It's presently just South of Guam and forecast (using GFS and ICON models) to rapidly intensify into a Typhoon with the next 48-72 hrs.  It's tracking West-Northwest, just hoping it's more Northwest and misses the Philippines.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I've attached a video I mde usingfrom the GFS model from the "Ventusky" app.  It shows a strong Typhoon developing by middle to late next week and tracking Northwest of Philippines.  However, the ICON model shows a more Westerly track towards Luzon. 

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Some good news to report. The forming typhoon, currently a tropical depression (TD28W) is forecast to track well away from the Philippines.

42263823_2178179129122358_7194022319029747712_o.jpg

• Like 1