Foreigner living on the streets

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Not really sure where to post this so moderators feel free to move it :smile:

Anyway for the past, I think about 10 days a foreigner has been living on a bench at the side or back of Mcdonalds in the IT Park Cebu.  Not sure of his nationality. My GF says he looks depressed. Yesterday I walked past to check but he had company of a homeless Filipina and was talking as well as looking quite happy.

My question is, should I approach him and ask if he is OK or mind my own business?  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It would be interesting to know his story. He’s sure to ask for money but you’re a rich Kano so that’s not an issue.

Perhaps you could start a Go Fund Me page with a YouTube channel? Who knows it could become the next big deal!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

It would be interesting to know his story. He’s sure to ask for money but you’re a rich Kano so that’s not an issue.

Perhaps you could start a Go Fund Me page with a YouTube channel? Who knows it could become the next big deal!

I certainly have nothing to give him nor will I set up any fund campaign but I feel some compassion so it sort of intrigues me as to his story or if there is something I could do to help him out.  For a start its against Philippines law for a foreigner to be destitute so if that is the case perhaps better to be arrested where some help maybe avail but I am surprised the security here in the Park have not moved him on.

Really I have no idea what or why he is living on that bench, maybe around late 50, reddish skin and quite a few tatts so perhaps that is his traveling ways to live or sleep badly but to enable travel but now l am being hypothetical with no idea. 

:mellow:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I certainly have nothing to give him nor will I set up any fund campaign but I feel some compassion so it sort of intrigues me as to his story or if there is something I could do to help him out. 

:mellow:

My same exact feelings Boss Man.  His story could go either way -- he is either destitute because of alcohol or drugs OR he just ran into some bad luck and needs someone to help him.  My curiosity would overcome other reasons for hesitation and would approach him gently.   

Perhaps his GF can be approached by one of the locals?  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My question is

Answer with a question. Would any of us approach a homeless couple back in our home country? 

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, scott h said:

Answer with a question. Would any of us approach a homeless couple back in our home country? 

Yes but this is not our country/ his country. I say go for it, talk with him, if it gets strange then just walk away. You never know he may not be as destitute as you think

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jake said:

Perhaps his GF can be approached by one of the locals?

Not his GF Jake. She is a familiar homeless in this area which I guess was just talking to him. 

25 minutes ago, scott h said:

I think it's slightly different. When I say homeless all I know is he is sleeping on a bench so the question could be, has he lost everything and cant find his way because if you cant even make a phone call your pretty much stuffed. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, canadamale said:

Yes but this is not our country/ his country. I say go for it, talk with him, if it gets strange then just walk away. You never know he may not be as destitute as you think

You are possibly correct, maybe just different so maybe I will see if I can talk to him.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think it's slightly different.

Call me a heartless bugger, but me personally I don't see a difference. A guy sleeping on a bench to me is homeless, by choice or by circumstance. Three possible outcomes here. 1 he is down on his luck and I am going to hear a sob story and be asked to help one way or another. 2 he is drunk, stoned or crazy and heavens knows what his reaction might be, or 3 he is living like this by choice and there is a good chance he will take offense because he will think I am judging him. 

I didn't interact with homeless or down on their luck types in the states and I don't here either. But that's just me :smile:

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

This can be a reminder to other "expat wanna be's" out there that the Philippines can be a very miserable place with no income.  

• Like 1