1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

Matt; 25 v 37- 40 N.I.V

Amen.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

From the description you have given JGF, the guy doesn't sound like a down n out,

Well he was down and out in some ways since he never left the same bench for days so thats not normal. Anyway my GF informs me two women were talking to him and a few hours later he was gone so perhaps they helped him or he hit the road. When I say a few hours it could have been around the same time but a few hours before my GF passed that way again where she seen he was no longer there.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 9/11/2018 at 6:11 AM, scott h said:

Answer with a question. Would any of us approach a homeless couple back in our home country? 

I would not be as likely to approach them in the US, as there are a lot more social services there that they can avail.  Here... not so much... this is a tough country to be poor - if you have no family.  The families here are the social safety net.  

I do not usually have much money to give, but have given the occasional chicken joy. But I am wary of offering too much help if they look like they will just use it for drinks or drugs. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Matt; 25 v 37- 40 N.I.V

:smile:

brmpipes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

The guy is brilliant.  Simply quietly sits on a bench until two Filipinas take him home with them. :wave:

Or very unlucky. One is generally enough ha.

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

So if your life got turned upside down and it was you sleeping on a bench then you know that no one should care and that should be how it is forever

If my life got turned upside down so bad that my friends and family did not give a shit about me, I would certainly not expect strangers to care, nor would I want their pity.  So:

no.jpg

However, if I thought there was a chance he was simply suffering from memory loss, dementia, or something similar . . . nah, I'd let the authorities handle that unless he actually asked for help.  If help was requested I would offer to contact his embassy for him, all the while feeling cynical that nothing is going to happen.  But you never know until you try.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I would never spend large amounts on a random person that I didn't know but 50 peso for a budget meal is not different to dropping a gold coin into a tin of a homeless person back in Australia IMO.  It might not help, but I can afford it and who knows... maybe it'll let them eat today.

I'm not close to being as religious as SWMBO but one of the few things that has stuck with me is 1 Corinthians 13:13 (King James version) -:

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

An occasional gold coin or 20 or 50 peso note... it keeps my conscience from complaining too much.

• Like 5