Foreigner living on the streets

RBM
Posted
Posted

Nobody can tell the OP what to do, if I ran in to him for sure my reaction would be say hi and go from there. The least would give him an ear, advice if practical and buy him a burger. 

For sure your gona be asking yourself what if.......in the advent suddenly he is no longer around. Find it interesting he has chosen the IT park to hang in, perhaps he was with a  all center or just prefers the security it offers, u less the OP chats with him we shall never know.

He maybe he is just super naive and has been caught up unwittingly in some kinda GF scam, not the first or last here.

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

there is a good chance he will take offense because he will think I am judging him

and just a good of chance he will be happy to have another expat say hi. so what if he has a hard luck story and asks for help, there is no one saying you must help anyone. If he is drunk, acting like he is on drugs or giving you bad vibes by all means approach at your own peril. But to refuse to talk to someone because they appear poor and homeless???. You may find a very interesting story and give someone a chance to speak to someone who can more understand  his outlook on the world. If he is not trying to talk to you when he sees another expat that tells me he is not looking for a handout.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I was a young liberal, I approached a homeless guy in Edmonton with the thought that I could help in some way.  He set me straight.  It was a long time ago but I remember he said something like:  "You got any money for me?"  I said no, just thought I'd say hello. He said "What?  You figure we're gonna be friends now?  Feck off!"  And I did.  Would be interesting to see if JGF gets a more positive response because I followed that fellow's advice and fecked off from trying to help homeless guys.

yes Dave, but there is a difference from a lowlife bum in Canada that can go to a shelter get fed, get cloths a warm bed to sleep in.  and a fellow expat homeless on a bench in the Philippines

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, canadamale said:

yes Dave, but there is a difference from a lowlife bum in Canada that can go to a shelter get fed, get cloths a warm bed to sleep in.  and a fellow expat homeless on a bench in the Philippines

The difference being the support system available rather than the person himself/herself?  

I'd tends to steer clear unless I'm actually able to offer some sort of practical assistance/advice.  Not least because the guy has not approached the OP so may not be so happy to be approached.

TimL
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not really sure where to post this so moderators feel free to move it :smile:

Anyway for the past, I think about 10 days a foreigner has been living on a bench at the side or back of Mcdonalds in the IT Park Cebu.  Not sure of his nationality. My GF says he looks depressed. Yesterday I walked past to check but he had company of a homeless Filipina and was talking as well as looking quite happy.

My question is, should I approach him and ask if he is OK or mind my own business?  

I would, why not? Something as simple as I see you sitting behind so I thought I’d check and see if you’re okay.  He’ll prob hit you up for cash but maybe get him a couple of burgers and at least help him eat. 

Once you get his story, please let us know what shakes loose.  If he’s a deadbeat, so be it but, if it’s someone genuinely in need of assistance, I’m game to help him out. 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Would be interesting to see if JGF gets a more positive response because I followed that fellow's advice and fecked off from trying to help homeless guys.

I think we have the wrong image in our heads. The guy that I am talking about in this topic does not look like he has lived on the streets for years like not long haired, bearded or dirty looking so perhaps something has happened which has him stuck in a bad situation.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

perhaps something has happened which has him stuck in a bad situation.

There is a fellow on the boulevard in Dumaguete who acts a bit strange.  Every night he sits in the same spot and stares at the people going by. He has been doing this for months. He was in the news a while back for being drunk and giving the tourist police a hard time.  Since then he no longer drinks openly nor acts intoxicated, but he is still there.  I have no interest in knowing his story.

My point is that there are hard luck stories everywhere and since he and I were not interested in knowing each other when life was good for him, then his hard luck is his own.  If he has no friends to help him out I believe there is a reason.  I have enough friends and relatives to help out when needed (and I do) so I would not be interested in taking on some stranger's problems.  However, if there is room in your life to help this guy out then go for it.  Nothing wrong with talking to the fellow.  Many of us are curious what comes of it.

If they guy does ask something from you, what are you prepared to do to help him?  I ask because if you are going to suggest that you might buy him a beer to cheer him up (as he seems depressed) then I'll pop down to IT park and sit in that spot for some free beers myself. :7500:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Every night he sits in the same spot and stares at the people going by.

The difference is this guy sleeps there as well so I expect no where else to go.

My point is that there are hard luck stories everywhere

So if your life got turned upside down and it was you sleeping on a bench then you know that no one should care and that should be how it is forever. 

If they guy does ask something from you, what are you prepared to do to help him?

If he need help such as from his embassy I would go as far as contacting them for him to see if there was something they could do other than a phone call. Maybe he has relatives in his country that could be contacted if he was looking for their help so I could also do that.

• Like 5