Foreigner living on the streets

• 3 months later...
bastonjock
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Mate, you did a good thing and it seems it was appreciated as well.  Some of you know my background as a social worker after I left the navy working for homeless vets and from where I'm sitting people don't choose to live on the streets but there they are, making you feel uncomfortable and making excuses not to help them.  There, but for the grace of god, go I.  No one is immune to gravity.  Mental illness is not a choice but we send our sons to war and expect that not to happen.  80% of homeless people in Australia are mentally ill veterans or indigenous first peoples (don't get me started on that). There's been 200 Australians die in Afghanistan and Iraq, there's been 800 that have committed suicide since they returned.  Mental illness it not a choice, it's as deadly as a cancer diagnosis.  Tom's mate may not have served, but that doesn't matter, he's in a bad situation and that tiny slice of humanity that Tom showed may have saved a life.  

I have a black dog.  I hate him and love him.  I have an angry midget that gets it, she saved my life.  

Are you ok?

I e got some knowledge about mental illness , I have a close friend who suffers from PTSD,  with  my job I got to a house ( I'm the electrician) , it's a half way place for people suffering from a variety of problems  , I had a smoke outside and got talking to one guy who suffers very badly from PTSD,  I was scared I'd say the wrong thing , but just talking to him seemed to lift his spirits .

I am a recovered alcoholic , been sober for 24 years , not a drop . I was offered a position at a very exclusive and expensive world renowned rehab , I could have got qualified and ended up charging mega bucks to the rich and famous , but I just could not bring myself to charge money for a program that was given freely to me , I still. Get the phone calls and go an help suffering alcoholics , if it's a dangerous situation ,we go as a pair , once had to disarm a guy with an axe , that was not fun .

I have seen and witnessed those in park benches recover from alcoholism,  we gets vets coming in and do what we can to help

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

At this stage I do not know his situation but I do now know he is approachable so I will follow up and see what can be done if he wants something done. I already talked to my GF about these mattrest she has stored here, only fairly thin but better than a hard bench. Will see how things are after l talk to him again.

Funny thing the other night I was in my watering hole and a Filipina just a tad drunk did not have enough money to pay her full bill. This is a long story but l paid the P230 needed and she was not short of money normally except she did not have her card with her and could not leave without paying. I think I made a friend and I told my GF and she said why did you do that, my answer was that I hope if I was in that situation someone would help me.

Now can anyone lend me 50 peso till next week,, please please :xmas_tree_5435f:

My GF has a lending business..she can give you 50 for 60. Best I can do.:console: 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Not to sound flippant but bring him a McDonalds meal and ask if he's hungry.  Go from there.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Yesterday,

I saw a man who wasn't there.

I saw him there again today.

I wish that he would go away.

• Like 2