VPN

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I recall reading up on this some time back, but am unable to find it in search.  Moving to the Phils soon and would like to know how to set up a VPN so that it appears that I am still in Canada.  Thanks for your help!

Mick
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MacBubba said:

I recall reading up on this some time back, but am unable to find it in search.  Moving to the Phils soon and would like to know how to set up a VPN so that it appears that I am still in Canada.  Thanks for your help!

I use turbo vpn, its free, and you chose the server country, the logo on play store is a rabbit.... 

Screenshot_20180911-093006.jpg

Edited by Mick
  • Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Sorry, for some reason, this got posted under Spousal Immigration and Benefits.  Still would apply to Social Security though.

Please feel free to move as fitting.  Thanks.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I use Express VPN for some Australian websites when I’m in CDO, it has apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and works on Windows 10 and OS X.  It hasn’t given me many issues, occasionally a server point is down but there are multiple options so if (for example) Melbourne isn’t connecting I just choose Sydney or Brisbane.

https://www.expressvpn.com/

• Like 2

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Express VPN is the best commercial VPN I have found (so far.) Hands down better and faster than the many other services I have tried. And, Express VPN doesn't have nearly as many fake (virtual) location servers as other services. They are indeed more expensive than the competition, but well worth the few extra dollars you pay. No DNS leaks, split-tunneling and really fast servers. In fact, I can often get faster downloads through a VPN location than I can runing without the VPN. For real security, the only option better than Express VPN is to create your own VPN server, but, with a DIY setup, bandwidth can be really expensive if you stream or torrent a lot.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Another potential option is to run a remote session on a computer in your home country. I had my home computer running once when I was gone to the Phils, and could remote in and make it "look" like I was in the US. It was just a backup option. Found it to be unnecessary though. 

• Love it 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MacBubba said:

There are many VPN's available. I suggest you research and educate yourself about VPN Leakage and the countermeasures and settings one should do on their computers operating system so sites can't see your true IP Address/"location even though you are using a VPN.

Expedia and Amazon were notorious for detecting my true IP Address/Location via VPN leakage until I tweaked my operating system.

https://thebestvpn.com/vpn-leak-test/

Edited by Rooster
  • Love it 1

TimL
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use Private Internet Access and IpVanish. Weird place btw to post this. Spousal, immigration and benefits/Social Security

:hystery:

Edited by TimL

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, TimL said:

I use Private Internet Access and IpVanish. Weird place btw to post this. Spousal, immigration and benefits/Social Security

:hystery:

I have tried both Private Internet Access and IpVanish, both work 'ok' but not quite as well as Express VPN (based only upon my personal experience).

TimL
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I have tried both Private Internet Access and IpVanish, both work 'ok' but not quite as well as Express VPN (based only upon my personal experience).

Hi Geoff,

in what way do they not work as well as Express VPN? Is express faster or is it something else?