VPN

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, TimL said:

Hi Geoff,

in what way do they not work as well as Express VPN? Is express faster or is it something else?

I used PIA for about a year, but they do have issues. Their torrent support kept getting worse, and I even got a cease and desist order regarding a torrent I downloaded through them. They claim no logs but I don't really think that's true, especially since they are based in the U.S. PIA also doesn't work reliably with Netflix. But, to their credit, they don't try to claim it does. Speed with PIA is "OK" but on average not nearly as fast as Express VPN.

DNS leaks not a big problem with PIA, but they do happen more often than they should. There are ways around this (like using Cloudflare's DNS servers on your system just in case.) This is okay if you need U.S. based servers. PIA uses a lot of virtual servers for 2nd and 3rd tier countries and locations. This may or may not be a big deal depending on your needs. But, if you need a real physical server presence in an out of the way location, then PIA is not a good solution.

I used IPVanish for all of about 3 days. They were so slow and intermittent that I just had to cancel my account.

Of course, these are my experiences and you may have better or worse luck. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, TimL said:

Hi Geoff,

in what way do they not work as well as Express VPN? Is express faster or is it something else?

I found that Express provided not only higher peak transfer rates (which might not matter if your connection isn't that fast) but also more stable transfer rates and faster domain name resolution plus more of the servers work with Netflix.  Their help desk is... errr... very helpful also.

I think Express VPN is worth the bit extra but YMMV.

• Like 2

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

Their help desk is... errr... very helpful also.

Yes, I will second that. Express VPN support is top notch. Never had to wait more than a minute or two when seeking support and good answers via their live chat widget.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for your input and help, it is greatly appreciated.  I'm looking into Express VPN and it looks promising.

• Like 3

TimL
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I found that Express provided not only higher peak transfer rates (which might not matter if your connection isn't that fast) but also more stable transfer rates and faster domain name resolution plus more of the servers work with Netflix.  Their help desk is... errr... very helpful also.

I think Express VPN is worth the bit extra but YMMV.

Interesting, thank you. I’ll definitely check it out, I’m all for faster speeds, especially here. ;)

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, JeSsDaDdY said:

DNS leaks not a big problem with PIA, but they do happen more often than they should. There are ways around this (like using Cloudflare's DNS servers on your system just in case.) 

Google what is WebRTC and how to disable it.

I made the changes to Edge and my VPN Leaks stopped

https://buffered.com/privacy-security/how-to-disable-webrtc-in-various-browsers/