Posted

I believe the term is Kano tax :tiphat:

• Haha 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

Ive just been given a great example of kanu tax , when i decide to buy my plot in the hills above toril , i stayed out of the way , i did not show my white face , i went up afterwards lol 

I paid one million peso less by adopting this tactic ,the white guy who bought the piece next to mine paid a lot more than i did ,he has akso had to pay 50k more fir electrical installation and 130k more for water 

Guess it pays to keep a low profile huh

It is always better to have a trusted Local purchase anything for you or you will almost always pay more.

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

Ive just been given a great example of kanu tax , when i decide to buy my plot in the hills above toril , i stayed out of the way , i did not show my white face , i went up afterwards lol 

I paid one million peso less by adopting this tactic ,the white guy who bought the piece next to mine paid a lot more than i did ,he has akso had to pay 50k more fir electrical installation and 130k more for water 

Just done the same, land where I live is 9000 peso a sqm, plot at the side went for 8600 after negotiation got mine for 8200 as I stayed well out of it, and they paid all the government dues and community fees owed, start the wall tomorrow as it will be a 270sqm garden added on to my house

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

I'm just wondering what the starting point was based on the savings you mention i.e. if he paid 130k more than you then the starting point must have been very high?

Keeping a low profile will become increasingly difficult as word gets around that you're there

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

he has akso had to pay 50k more fir electrical installation and 130k more for water 

Are you tapping into his infrastructure? 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm just wondering what the starting point was based on the savings you mention i.e. if he paid 130k more than you then the starting point must have been very high?

Keeping a low profile will become increasingly difficult as word gets around that you're there

Neither of us are tapping into an infrastructure, we are both drawing water from a mountsin spring ,there is an underground river that i will be drawing from ,aparently its a vacumm set up and the water flow is constant at my end and you cant turn it off ,so the excess will drain into my little creek

The thought of cold mountain spring water is quite inviting 

My GF is a senior manager at the Davao water company ,she runs teams of guys who install water and drainage as a result sge knew where to purchase the parts ,the materials alone are costing 84k ,the labour is 30k

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you tapping into his infrastructure? 

Hehe no , i dont do that sort of thing 

The volume of water we require is quite high the other chap has the same problem so tapping into the local  supply was not a possibility 

So we are both running water in from spring sources 

Rooster
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Neither of us are tapping into an infrastructure, we are both drawing water from a mountsin spring ,there is an underground river that i will be drawing from ,aparently its a vacumm set up and the water flow is constant at my end and you cant turn it off ,so the excess will drain into my little creek

The thought of cold mountain spring water is quite inviting 

My GF is a senior manager at the Davao water company ,she runs teams of guys who install water and drainage as a result sge knew where to purchase the parts ,the materials alone are costing 84k ,the labour is 30k

For years, other Expats and I rode motorcycle enduro trails all over the mountains in La Union with a group of locals. The locals we rode with and the residents we encountered would never drink the spring/creek waters because of the farm animals upland of the source pissing/shitting in the water. If they could not create a deep well they would not establish a home base. They would only use the creek/spring water for their farms, to wash clothes, some would use it to shower. etc. so you may want to test your water and venture upland to see if farm animals/carabao are pissing/shitting in your water.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Rooster said:

For years, other Expats and I rode motorcycle enduro trails all over the mountains in La Union with a group of locals. The locals we rode with and the residents we encountered would never drink the spring/creek waters because of the farm animals upland of the source pissing/shitting in the water. If they could not create a deep well they would not establish a home base. They would only use the creek/spring water for their farms, to wash clothes, some would use it to shower. etc. so you may want to test your water and venture upland to see if farm animals/carabao are pissing/shitting in your water.

I'm chucking at this one rooster , I was talking to my gf today and discussing drainage from the pig pens , I suggested a septic tank and a run off system , her reply was , no need , let it run into the creek lol

No I won't be drinking water from the creek , the source of our drinking water will be coming from an underground river ,the water apparently is icy cold and classes as potable by the purok guy , she will also take a sample into work to have it checked 

On another completely different subject , I'm hoping to go dirt bike riding in the philipines, I'm going to be surrounded by mountainous terrain and tracks ,the Honda 250 crf is my bike of choice ,I don't fancy trying to pick up anything bigger