Visa advice for father and child

Posted
Posted

Hello

I have a Filipino partner (not married) who is currently in the Philippines.

We recently went to the Philippines and I and our child got a 1 year balikbayan stamp in our passports. She told immigration that we were married and had forgot our marriage certificate.

I returned home with our child and she stayed in the Philippines. 

Now I am planning to go back to the Philippines with our child and for us all to live there for maybe a year or more. 

Will my son get a balikbayan stamp for 1 year at immigration if I show his birth certificate ? Will I get a 1 year stamp too (as I previously had 1 in my passport) ?

If we don't get the balikbayan stamps what options do we have ? 

Thank you for your help, 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Newbie said:

I returned home with our child and she stayed in the Philippines. 

Now I am planning to go back to the Philippines with our child and for us all to live there for maybe a year or more. 

Will my son get a balikbayan stamp for 1 year at immigration if I show his birth certificate ? Will I get a 1 year stamp too (as I previously had 1 in my passport) ?

Most likely no as she who is meant to be your wife who has to be with you. You should not have got it in the first place with no marriage certificate but very unlikely you will get it without her present. 

Tourist visa is probably your only choice.

Posted
Posted

So my son wouldn't get the 1 year stamp either? 

So both of us need to go the tourist visa route? This means we both need to apply for 59 day visa here and then pay for extensions at immigration offices every few months in the Philippines? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Newbie said:

So both of us need to go the tourist visa route? This means we both need to apply for 59 day visa here and then pay for extensions at immigration offices every few months in the Philippines? 

That's correct except no need to apply for a visa. You just arrive here from the UK and receive a 30 day waiver and then extend before the 30 days is up.

A legal Filipino wife has to accompany you with a marriage certificate. 

http://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

Read number 4 :thumbsup:

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Newbie said:

So even if we got married in the Philippines and all 3 of us went to Vietnam for a few days and returned we wouldn't get the balikbayans because my then wife hadn't been out the country long enough ? She has to be out the country for minimum of 1 year for my son and I to get the 1 year stamp?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Newbie said:

So even if we got married in the Philippines and all 3 of us went to Vietnam for a few days and returned we wouldn't get the balikbayans because my then wife hadn't been out the country long enough ? She has to be out the country for minimum of 1 year for my son and I to get the 1 year stamp?

That is the law but rarely enforced. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Newbie said:

You did not mention where he was born.  I have heard from others who have children that you can present a birth certificate to show the child was born in the Philippines to get the 1 year BB for the child.  (Or just have a Philippine passport for the child if a dual citizen with dual passports).

You will get a free 30 days and then you will have to get the tourist visa or talk to the local BI about alternatives.  It is possible you might get a BB as you enter if the officer is feeling friendly, but you are not entitled to it so just go with the flow.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Newbie said:

She has to be out the country for minimum of 1 year for my son and I to get the 1 year stamp?

There was a memo on it (from the BI) years ago that many of us remember and few can find.  It says the 1 year period shall be rescinded and there will no longer be any time constraints on how long the BB is out of the country.  As with all memos, the officials around the country interpret them as they see fit and they can change on a whim with a subsequent memo.  Thus I have not bothered to search for it lately but yes, I have seen a copy of it.  If it was important to you, and if you were married and wanted to take your wife and son on a holiday, I would suggest a quick message to the BI on their Facebook page to get a fast reply on whether you can do that.  But you have to get married first :58:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have heard from others who have children that you can present a birth certificate to show the child was born in the Philippines to get the 1 year BB for the child.

Number 4 says only if traveling with the Balikbayan spouse or parent so if the OP is a UK citizen then he is not a Balikbayan because his wife is not with him therefore I say no.

4. Can a foreigner spouse or child of a Balikbayan avail this privilege when traveling to the Philippines alone?

A foreign national spouse and/or child of a Balikbayan may only be given the said privilege if he/she is traveling with his/her Balikbayan spouse or parent.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

therefore I say no

Will be interesting to see what the BI says upon entry, but if the child is not a returning Filipino citizen (as in having a birth certificate or dual passport) then I say no for the child, and anyway you slice it I agree "no" for the father.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver